Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Pubs Welcome Kids?

Default Do Pubs Welcome Kids?

What I mean is: my husband and I enjoy having a brew at a pub and we have a three-year-old that's well-behaved enough to take with us. (Also, we don't know a soul in NZ and don't have childcare, anyway.) Here in Norway, with what little "pub culture" exists, it's no problem to have her along. I'd totally forgotten that America is slightly, um, different in this aspect until we visited family there this May and we were told that children are not welcome. (I guess it was obvious that we're breeding quite the little lush? )

What's the attitude in NZ to this?

Vann

Not seen many pubs here to be honest.

The law as it stands,
    Drinking

You must be at least 18 years old to drink alcohol in New Zealand. If you are under 18, you are not allowed to purchase alcohol or enter a bar or nightclub unless you are with a parent or guardian. Photo identification that shows your age is often requested before you are allowed to enter a hotel bar or club, this Photo ID must be in the form of one of the following, otherwise it will not be accepted:

It depends on the type of bar but the short answer is yes, children welcome.

My parents took our kids into a Monteiths (pub/restaurant) for lunch one day. My parents were asked if they were the children's parents. When they responded that, no, they were actually their grandparents, they were told they must leave (not parents or guardians). The funny thing is that had the kids gone in with family friends of the right age, the question would never have been asked.

I'm sure it depends on where you live and what kind of establishment you're talking about but my experience has been mostly positive. There is a brewery here that has a bouncy castle and playhouse for kids. I think you'll have no problem finding a place where you can have a lazy pint with your kids in tow.

I was in a bar in Wellington yesterday (early) evening and there were kids in there.

As Wellington is where we're hoping we'll be permanently, that's great to hear. I probably should have specified that that's where we'd be.

We live i the Wellington area and also have no body here to watch our son so we take him out with us and have had no problems at all.

A lot depends on time of day. Going to most pubs for lunch on the weekend should be fine. It might be a different story at some places in the evenings for dinner.
    If in doubt, just call and ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast