Thread: Government roles - Wellington - restrictions?

Default Government roles - Wellington - restrictions?

Hello,

We are moving next year to NZ (hopefully) on a skilled migrate category - residents visa from the UK.

We are considering Wellington but having looked at roles it would seem that most in my field are in the government sector - I understand that there might be some restrictions on the roles that I could apply for. Does anyone know if this is true? If that is the case does anyone know if they allow you to work on contract?

Thanks

Emma

Yes that's right. Most of the times a Non Disclosure Agreement addresses this for consulting agencies where the consultants work for a fixed/contractual term, however there are some of the government departments which deal with confidential data that requires applicants/employees to be Citizens. This criteria is usually mentioned in the job adverts.

The government jobs that need you to be a citizen are by far the smallest minority, most likely in defence or similar roles. Some other jobs make it a requirement that you are able to obtain security clearance, of which there are varying levels. One of the highest is "NZ eyes only", but there are many levels below that, ranging from "confidential" to "top security". In other jobs you may have to deal with keeping clients personal information private, but this is covered by data protection, rather than security clearance, and is certainly not a matter of whether you are a citizen or not.

I'm not a citizen yet, and I have security clearance. I cant say what is is as you are obliged to keep it to yourself. The process involves filling in a very long form about you, your relatives, and all of the places you've visited or lived, but is otherwise quite straightforward. NZIS does the assessment, fees are payable, and it can take weeks to months.

Thank you for your replies - that makes sense. Emma

Yep, I agree fully with RedVee. There are plenty of roles you'll be able to apply for - permanent or contract.

I'd also say don't be put off from applying for a post which says you have to be a citizen (or at least confirming that with them that is a "real" requirement and isn't something just lingering on the job spec). I'd prepared a presentation for an interview only to discover in some small print that you're meant to be a citizen, I stopped preparing immediately and got onto them. Luckily it actually wasn't a necessary and I got the job! Though had I seen that requirement before applying I might have been put off.