Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Move Back to Edinburgh

Default Temporary Move Back to Edinburgh

Hi Folks,

It's been a loooooooooong time since I was on this forum, but we're planning a temporary move back to Edinburgh, for a couple of years, and thought there might be some peeps on here who can help me.

We'll have been in NZ for 10 years and will have NZ citizenship (once I get round to filling out the forms!) but when we move back to the UK to live, can we enter on our NZ passports? I know it would be easier to enter on the UK ones, but mine is just about to expire and I didn't want the hassle of renewing it lol I'm assuming I don't need to apply for any visas or anything for or NZ born son?

We wanted to be back before Christmas 2016, but having thought a bit more about it, maybe it makes sense to be back in August so my son can start at the beginning of the school year? That being the case..... he's 5yrs 4 months now and in year 0. He'll be 6yrs 4 months when we move and will have completed 2 and a half terms of year 1. What school year would he go into Edinburgh? Year 2?

Has anyone made a move back to the UK recently? We're planning on using Crown again (haven't looked into it though yet) but just wondering what the general cost these days is for a 20 footer?

Many thanks

You have to declare you will be staying in NZ when you fill in the citizenship forms.

I've not looked at the forms yet, but obviously as we want to return, we'll be ticking the right boxes.

and also let them know if you intend to travel overseas within next 12 months.

My concerns are more with which passport do we use to enter the UK.

$1000 for citizenship! (2 adults) Now I know why I've been putting it off !!!

About your son, you're going to need to show SOMETHING to prove that he's a British subject. If he doesn't have a British passport, he'll need this. https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode#435014682

There's an interesting thread about entering the UK on a foreign passport here. http://www.immigrationboards.com/bri...rt-t79692.html Summing up the discussion, I think it's going to be easier just to get another British passport than to faff around getting the alternative.

Thanks JandM, very helpful

From what I've read there, I think it's British Passports all round, as the certificate of entitlement for my son would cost £289! so we'd be better off just getting him a passport.

I wouldn't mind betting that's why they set things up this way.

Cannot help with the info just wanted to say I remember you from when we were moving in 2004 - (came back 2005!- another story...)
    looks like things worked out well for you in NZ, are you sure you are ready for this Scottish weather? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
    Hi Folks,

It's been a loooooooooong time since I was on this forum, but we're planning a temporary move back to Edinburgh, for a couple of years, and thought there might be some peeps on here who can help me.

We'll have been in NZ for 10 years and will have NZ citizenship (once I get round to filling out the forms!) but when we move back to the UK to live, can we enter on our NZ passports? I know it would be easier to enter on the UK ones, but mine is just about to expire and I didn't want the hassle of renewing it lol I'm assuming I don't need to apply for any visas or anything for or NZ born son?

We wanted to be back before Christmas 2016, but having thought a bit more about it, maybe it makes sense to be back in August so my son can start at the beginning of the school year? That being the case..... he's 5yrs 4 months now and in year 0. He'll be 6yrs 4 months when we move and will have completed 2 and a half terms of year 1. What school year would he go into Edinburgh? Year 2?

Has anyone made a move back to the UK recently? We're planning on using Crown again (haven't looked into it though yet) but just wondering what the general cost these days is for a 20 footer?

Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast