Thread: Chinese Retirement in New Zealand

Default Chinese Retirement in New Zealand

Hey,

My Chinese wife recently moved to New Zealand to live with me. She is currently in her early 40's and previously worked for the Chinese government for over 20 years. In China she is able to retire and receive retirement payments when she reaches 50 years old. Now that she has left her job in China and has moved to NZ she has been asked by here old work to make payments towards her Chinese retirement until she is 50.

She is currently studying English and plans to find a job here in NZ next year. I am wondering if she should make the payments towards her Chinese retirement.

Is she able to receive retirement money from China while she works in NZ?
    Can she receive retirement money from China until she is old enough to retire in NZ and then switch to NZ retirement if it is more?
    When she is old enough to retire in NZ can she receive retirement money from both China and NZ?

has moved to NZ she has been asked by here old work to make payments towards her Chinese retirement until she is 50.
    By under what law? I'm unaware of any country that forces NON-resident people to pay into a pension (especially one that is gov't).

I am wondering if she should make the payments towards her Chinese retirement.
    NO

Is she able to receive retirement money from China while she works in NZ?
    YES - but it will be taxed in NZ (regardless if the $ is brought back to NZ or not)

Can she receive retirement money from China until she is old enough to retire in NZ and then switch to NZ retirement if it is more?
    Yes providing China gov't pays pension to overseas non-residents? There may be a huge concession (a big cut in pension) to those that reside overseas if they expect to get their paid pension in China

When she is old enough to retire in NZ can she receive retirement money from both China and NZ?
    Generally no but it's a question from the China pension point of view. If it's a private pension then yes.