Thread: Washington Accord - Engineering

Default Washington Accord - Engineering

Can we just double check our understanding - we've asked but the contact centre could only give us a "it might be okay to submit without"

My partner has a UK - Washington accord accredited Engineering degree (plus a PHD) but we have been told that we need a IQA for assessment at level 7/8 (not a that it is WA)

His degree is sadly not on the UK list of degrees but is clearly accredited by a quick search on the Washington Accord site - do we really need to send everything off to NZQA just for them to do a web search???

Just seems madness

Thanks

Em

"A relevant Washington Accord accredited undergraduate engineering degree (listed - see Note 4)" is the requirement.

Note 4 says "Note 4: Where a Washington Accord accredited undergraduate engineering degree is a requirement, the engineering degree has to be awarded from or after the date the country became a signatory, and must be on the list of accredited programs of the signatory country. To determine if an engineering degree awarded is Washington Accord accredited, please refer to the links from the International Engineering Alliance on their website:
    http://www.ieagreements.org/Washington-Accord/Accredited.cfm."

If you've checked all that, and his degree meets it, then no, you don't need IQA as well, according to this regulation. There is a tendency for people doing the initial check of paperwork to have a knee-jerk reaction if they don't see what they are most accustomed to seeing - another example is demanding an IELTS certificate, even when people have included a different proof of English ability.

Thank you for your response - that is brilliant news - I'm sitting looking at a pile of relevant qualifications that clearly fit the criteria. It is so confusing as they only ask for a degree with honours to be proven in a relevant subject whereas he has also a Masters and a PHD - neither of which they seem interested in - At one point we thought it would be quicker for Jonny to get Chartered in NZ than to send them off to get a IQA

You've also answered a second question that we had - I only need to prove I can speak English but all my educational certificates apart from my recent professional qualifications have been lost. In dark moments I thought I might have to sit a IELTS if they didn't like my more recent qualifications.

This paperwork gathering exercise has been far more stressful than we expected. Thank you again!

whereas he has also a Masters and a PHD - neither of which they seem interested in
    Many careers call for a relevant equivalent bachelor's degree at Level 7. The reason for the Level 7 requirement seems to be as follows. In some countries, it's possible to gain a higher degree where some small aspect of a subject would be studied in great depth, without first having a bachelor degree which would prove that the candidate has the breadth and grounding from the basics of the subject upwards. Such a higher degree would be given a Level 8 or 9, but would not PROVE (as a Level 7 would) that the candidate has broad general understanding.

Presuming that his application is wanting your points, you need to prove your English at the same level as the main applicant, and all the possibilities for that are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm You don't say if you're UK born and bred, but if you are, as you see, that covers a lot of what is in c iii.

Thank you again - that makes sense and somehow we'd missed that link. Yes, we are in the UK and both born and bred. Our application does require me to speak English fluently...but the only points I'm offering to our application is that my brother is already in NZ

We finally found the NZ contact centre number and have talked to them tonight and they confirmed what you told us - we had already started to relax this morning following your post. Really lovely people in the contact centre and thank goodness for Skype calls! Em