Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK police caution

Default UK police caution

Hi there,

I am applying for an essential skills visa in NZ, I have received my police certificate from the UK which reads no live trace (as i expected). I need to submit the certificate with my application. I received a police caution back in 2005 for shoplifting as a young and silly teenager.

As a police caution is not a conviction I believe I do not need to tick yes in the box that asks if I have ever been convicted in any country. I am currently on a working holiday visa in NZ and on that form I ticked no when asked about any convictions and wasn't asked about cautions so didn't mention it. I will mention the caution I received in this application in the additional comments but as I didn't mention it on my working holiday application would it be okay?

I didn't think I'd need to declare police cautions as they are not convictions according to the UK Govt website.

Any assistance would be great.

Ta

Phil A.

I think you are doing exactly the right thing. You have to mention the caution, to account for the 'no live trace' comment, and it's advisable to account for NOT having done so for the WHV (because of its not being a conviction as such), because INZ can be very hot on anything that can possibly look like an attempt to conceal any past brushes with the law.

Thank you, I will do that

Just another quick question, so do you think I should mention in the additional comments about not ticking yes to convictions in the WHV application as it is not a conviction?

Thanks

Phil A.

How'd you get on with this? I need to do exactly the same thing when I apply for a work visa in a few weeks.

Just be careful that there wasn't an arrest involved. The questions ask if "arrested, charged or convicted" If it just a (juvenile) caution then there is no requirement to declare it, but INZ will ask why certificate says "no live trace" . However for a juvenile caution then a simple not to say, "picked up and cautioned for shoplifting as a teenager" is normally all that is required.

Oh so just give a short simple explanation? I got a reprimand from when I was 15. Genuinely didn't think anything of it when applying for whv. Only remembered about it when I applied for a police check and it asked if I had any reprimands!

actually I'm wrong. The question is now only about convictions, Tick "no ' to the relevant boxes, but just put a comment on the box, "juvenille caution for shoplifting, age 15)

On the form it does say do you have any convictions including traffic offenses, would it be better to just tick yes and then in comments mention it?
    Just thinking terms of severity of I'm asked about a traffic offence surely a reprimand is more 'severe'

a caution is not a conviction, no matter what the offence.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd September 2015 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast