Thread: Requirements for a permanent resident visa// 5. Established base in New Zealand

Default Requirements for a permanent resident visa// 5. Established base in New Zealand

Dear Group Members,

I need your support in getting some information related to purchasing a residential property. I have limited budget and I'm planning to mortgage the deal.

- To identify the area in Auckland were i can make an attempt to purchase a one bed room property. (Not practical these day, rates too much high)
    - To identify the area in Wellington were i can make an attempt to purchase a one bed room property.

- To share which bank is reasonable in home mortgage deals.
    - To share which bank is reasonable for daily use and accounts.

If this is possible that i purchase a home in wellington and my family stay in Auckland during my absence. and fulfill the requirement of staying 184 days. if Using this criteria would i be able to show to the immigration team that i own a home in NZ and my family stayed 184 days in NZ irrespective of living in there own home which was purchased in wellington.
    Meaning it is not mandatory to stay in there own home after purchasing a property in NZ. My family can stay in at my friends home during my absence. I know i cannot rent that :-).

If this is possible that i purchase a home in wellington and my family stay in Auckland during my absence. and fulfill the requirement of staying 184 days. if Using this criteria would i be able to show to the immigration team that i own a home in NZ and my family stayed 184 days in NZ irrespective of living in there own home which was purchased in wellington.
    Meaning it is not mandatory to stay in there own home after purchasing a property in NZ. My family can stay in at my friends home during my absence
    No, this would not fulfil the condition.

RV2.5.20 a and b, here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30505.htm says the following.

A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have established a base in New Zealand. A principal applicant is considered to have established a base in New Zealand if:
    each and every member of their immediate family who was included in their application for a resident visa has resided in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the two year period immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and
    they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12 months immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and either
    they own and maintain a family home in New Zealand; or
    they have been engaged in full time continuous genuine employment in New Zealand immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made.

For the purpose of these instructions applicants are considered to own and maintain a family home in New Zealand if:

they have purchased a residential property in New Zealand within 12 months of their first day in New Zealand as a resident and still own that property either solely or jointly with members of their immediate family who were included in the application for a resident visa; and
    they and/or members of their immediate family who were included in the application for a resident visa occupy that property.
    (my bolding)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, this would not fulfil the condition.

RV2.5.20 a and b, here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30505.htm says the following.

(my bolding)

Hi JandM.

One quick question. I understand the requirement for the family members that they have to stay for 184 days in total for 2 years. For the principle applicant You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12-month period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application,
    Can i split these 41 days in 2 years.

Appreciate support.

Cheers.

a total of at least 41 days in the 12-month period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application
    No, the 41 days must be in the one year immediately before you apply. The 41 days could be in separate blocks of time, but the first of them would have to be within a year before your application.