Thread: cost of living

Default cost of living

Hi there can anyone give me a simple understanding of the costs for a two bedroom house to run in Christchurch i.e how much will i need to allow for each monthe electric food etc there are two adults one child thanks for help guys
    Lewis

A lot will depend on your lifestyle. For instance, do you have a lot of electrical devices running for long periods of time? Do you usually stay in one room together when you are home, or are there two or three rooms being lit and heated at the same time? What kind of food do you prefer? - and do you cook from ingredients or do you buy prepared meals?

My guess on food/electric per month would be roughly $1000-1200 with around 80% of that bill being food.

The housing market is getting better in Christchurch, but there is still a lack of accommodation. Places are still being rebuilt after the earthquakes.
    Things have become a lot better since I moved here at the end of 2011, but there is still a lot of competition to find good places to live. You might need a motel, or ask a friend if you can stay with them for a while. It took my partner and I two weeks to find somewhere suitable!

Rents are still pretty expensive here. For a two bedroom flat you should budget on around $300 - $500 per week, depending on the area of Christchurch you want to live in. With a heat pump, we pay around $150 - $200 per month in electricity (in winter). Under $100 per month for phone line and broadband internet.

A lot depends on what area of Christchurch you want to live. I'd recommend having a look on TradeMe Property, or calling property managers to get an idea of prices and what's available.