Thread: Before applying residency

Default Before applying residency

I am a software engineer working in US ,new to the forum and very confused if I should apply for New Zealand residency ? Kindly advice on the below confusion
    1) Do we need to write IELTS before submitting EOI?
    2) Do I need to have birth certificate before applying EOI?
    3) Do I need to send all my original documents to New Zealand for verification after my EOI is accepted ?
    4) Do I need to have transcript of all the mark sheet? My college doesn't provide one.
    5) Will I need to go to India to get any new documents requested.Can I get the list of all documents? I don't want to start the process of EOI and stop in middle if I need to go to India to get any documents ?
    6) I don't want a situation where I need to travel to India to get a document ready. Can't I do the whole process staying in US.
    Last edited by Saisakshi3; 7th August 2015 at 09:29 AM.

Here is some general information

Quote Originally Posted by Saisakshi3 View Post
    1) Do we need to write IELTS before submitting EOI?
    Depends if you need one, if educational qualifications were conducted in English then you may not need this.

2) Do I need to have birth certificate before applying EOI?
    As long as you have the birth certificate no. or any reference no./details you can just enter it in the EOI form. You dont need to submit any documents at the EOI stage.

3) Do I need to send all my original documents to New Zealand for verification after my EOI is accepted ?
    You dont need to submit any documents at the EOI stage. Once your application crosses EOI stage and if everything looks fine, then you are issued with an ITA pack (which could be anywhere between 3-4 months) and you will to submit originals only when you are submitting details back to INZ with ITA

4) Do I need to have transcript of all the mark sheet? My college doesn't provide one.
    In case your qualification needs to be assessed by NZQA then having it will make the process smooth

5) Will I need to go to India to get any new documents requested.Can I get the list of all documents? I don't want to start the process of EOI and stop in middle if I need to go to India to get any documents ?
    You dont need to submit any documents at the EOI. As long as you have softcopy or necessary information to key into the EOI form, it is good.

6) I don't want a situation where I need to travel to India to get a document ready. Can't I do the whole process staying in US.
    Same as above, but if you don't have a document and need to apply for one then start that process before you apply for EOI (it also depends on how important that document is for your application).

Thank you so much. I feel little relaxed that there is someone who is ready to answer and guide.I still have few questions
    I have 10 years of Software development experience and currently working in US for 3 years. I am Indian citizen
    1) I want to apply EOI immediately and take up IELTS later if required is this possible? Will i be allowed to submit EOI ? I did my studies in india and Schooling and college in English.Do i still need to write IELTS ? I have an approx score of 140.
    2) I don't have a birth Certificate in India but i have a birth certificate issued by Indian Embassy in US stating my date of birth based on my Passport. Will this be enough?
    3) I don't have transcript for my bachelors in engineering in electronics but i have my individual mark sheet with me?Will this be sufficient ?As i am sure i cannot get a consolidated transcript.
    4) I came across someone who informed me that i need to get a job with in 3 months from the date i land in New Zealand. If not my visa will be invalid.Is this true?

Waiting for your reply

1) IELTS is not mandatory if you can produce a letter from the degree awarding university that your entire course of study was in English. However, nothing stops a case officer from asking for a IELTS report(a CO is assigned some weeks/months after you submit your ITA application, and ITA is after your EOI getting selected). If, in the interview with CO, you communicate well, then the CO may not ask for a IELTS report to be seen, but watch the word 'may be'. No need for IELTS at EOI submission stage. However, IELTS wait times are long, do check and schedule something just in case. But it costs money, and as I said, it entirely depends on the CO. On this forum, to my knowledge, and do note, my knowledge is limited, I've not come across a situation where CO demanded (insisted) for IELTS report despite the candidate producing a University letter. There are opsmanual guidelines on what basis English requirements can be satisfied. Do look for that on INZ immigration website. I assume your points calculation to be correct.

2) I do think this will have to be issued in India. Not sure if the doc you have will suffice.

3) From what I understand transcripts and individual marksheets are the same. However, you may need a University certified syllabus, but this again depends on NZQA (if you need your quals to be assessed by them)

4) This is not true, as far as I know. The residence visa is valid for a total of 2 years from the date of activation unless you get into crime and other malpractices that may invalidate the visa (activation is done the day you land in NZ first time). The 3-month hearsay you mention here may be this: If a candidate claims points from a NZ job offer, then that job must be held for a min. of 3 months in NZ. Not sure where that someone hit upon this 3 month for the situation you talk about. Rather than banking on rumour, best to give INZ website a meticulous and thorough read.

All the best