Thread: Is NZQA assement required for me ?

Default Is NZQA assement required for me ?

Hi All,
    I am planning to apply for NZ residency under skilled migration category.
    The more I find out details about the process the more puzzled I am. I have 10 years of software engineering experience in MNC company and I have 3 years of work experience in US and UK. My question is

1) I have done my engineering in electronic and instrumentation from RMK engineering chennai affiliated Anna University in 2005 ? Do I need to get my degree assessed by NZQA by paying 740$ ? The link provide confuse me . Please confirm if I require ?

2) My wife also has similar work experience but has done her mechanical engineering from Manipal university ? Do I need to get her degree assessed by NZQA by again paying 740$ ?

3) Is getting qualification assessed mandatory before applying EOI ?

4) I daily come across a new information or a required process and I keep banging my head to find the right information. Does it makes sense to go to an immigration consultant ?

Please reply

1, 2) You may check if the degrees of you/your wife are on the exemption list. (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35171.htm)
    NZQA's IQA is required if it is not on the list.

3) You can apply Pre-assessment Result (PAR) if you do not want to do IQA before applying EOI. But you must have IQA report when you submit ITA. Mostly, people apply IQA directly before EOI.

Thanks for the reply.. I did refer to the link before posting my query.
    I do find my university in the list but I am confused about the year and course. I did my bachelors in engineering in electronic and instrumentation from university Anna university and I passed out in 2005 ? Do I need assessment ?

I am not familiar with the education system/institutions in your country.

If your institution is "Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu | MP, MS and PhD: 2002" while your degree does not belong to MP/MS/PhD, it means that it is not on the exemption list and you need to do assessment.

*** This is just my guess, as I am not familiar with the education system/institutions in your country.

Agreed. If your degree is not MP, MS or Phd from Anna University, you need to get it assessed.

As for your wife, Manipal University is not mentioned at all, so her degree also needs to be assessed.

You have to pay the assessment fee for each person separately.

PAR is a waste of time and money - it is not a full investigation, so it is unreliable, and everyone has to have the IQA done before making the actual application anyway.

Thank you so much.. It feels wonderful when guys like your are ready to reply so quick and in such a detailed manner..
    I will be paying 1400$ for both and getting it done.

Hi All,

I have the same question as the thread owner.I graduated from University of San Carlos, Cebu Philippines in 2003 with a Bachelors of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering.

I have two queries:

1) My school is one of the Awarding institutions but my qualification has a remark that for specialty in Engineering needs NZQA assessment. This part is confusing. Please confirm if NZQA assessment is required.
    2) If i am not part of the exemption, should i do IQA instead of PAR?

I appreciate your responses.

Okay.

1. Yes, you've understood correctly. The TOP chart on this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45793.htm shows qualifications that have been investigated for SOME places that award qualifications. If you have one of the qualifications listed, AND your university is in the LOWER chart, with that qualification mentioned beside it, AND the date in the last column covering the year that you graduated, then your qualification would be exempt from assessment.

However, your qualification has not been investigated for ANY university in the Philippines, so it is NOT exempt.

2. Yes, you need IQA for the actual application. As mentioned above, PAR is not reliable, and in any case you might as well only pay for IQA.

Hi JandM,

Thank you so much!!

Best Regards,