Thread: Definition of Domestic Students

Default Definition of Domestic Students

Hi,

I am planning to take up some programs at ITP/universities. Does anybody know the definition of domestic students? Does it mean permanent residents only? I have a resident visa, would it qualify me for the domestic fees or do I still have to pay the international fees?

With a residence visa, you qualify to pay domestic student fees. You can't access the NZ student loan system unless/until you have been a resident for three years, though.

Hi there. Just going on from this thread.... Study link doesn't say anything about holding residency for 3 years. It just says that you have to hold a resident visa that allows you to stay for 3 years, and have had spent 3 years in NZ already - it doesn't actually say you have to have been on the resident visa for 3 years..... Unless I'm reading it wrong???

Just a bit confused because going off of this link, I believe I qualify as I've been here for almost 4 years and recently got residency..

http://www.studylink.govt.nz/about-s...uirements.html

but its does say "•have been entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand under the Immigration Act 2009 for at least 3 years and have been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years " So, it does mean you have to have held a resident visa for 3 years, and have lived in NZ for # years.

Yes yes, I can see it from that angle but from looking at older press releases on their website, that have explicitly stated you had to have held the residency visa for 2 years, where now it's not said that way at all, just says you have had to have been in New Zealand for 3 years.

I totally understand if it is to be understood as being holding a resident visa for 3 years, but I'm just bringing it up as a question as it does seem confusing, especially when comparing previous years press releases.

Just seems a bit silly - I can understand those who just got residency and arrived in NZ cannot qualify, but for someone who's been here for a while now, paying taxes, it's just strange there's another stand down? Will be ringing study link tomorrow to confirm.

I think the change in the wording is because people got confused about residence visas and permanent residence visas qualifying for this concession. The way they have it now, being 'entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand under the Immigration Act 2009 for at least 3 years' covers it, whether the person is still on their residence visa, or if they have already changed it for PR.

I agree with J&M. With PRV though there is added emphaisis here " and have been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years "r

Ah no sorry to read this here was me thinking if this application was successful, my daughter could finish her Highers here and apply to NZ uni as a domestic student, with us, there's always something in the way

She can be a domestic student - that is, pay domestic fees, she just can't get a student loan. We are talking around $8000 NZ a year - not too bad in comparison with UK domestic fees.

Thanks Karen