Thread: Declared an offence in confusion of thinking I had one but have not... Help?

Exclamation Declared an offence in confusion of thinking I had one but have not... Help?

Hello,

I have encountered a tricky situation due to being utterly confused and thinking I had a caution on my police certificate and declaring it in a panic to my case officer thinking I was doing the right thing as at the time of doing my application 9 months ago did not realise cautions where classed as an offence... And did not mention it on my application.

Turns out there wasn't one on my police certificate in the end. I have sent this to my case officer but she still thinks I have a caution that I need to clarify because of declaring one before actually finding out that in fact I never got one. My police certificate clearly states "No Trace" which means I have no record.

Could anyone please give me any advice on how to go about this? I have no idea what to do...

Look at this from the CO's point of view.

You declared you had a caution - because you thought you had one.

You must have thought you had this caution as a result of some incident when you had a brush with the law. A police officer let you go, after saying something like, 'I'm not charging you on this occasion, but make sure you don't do this again.'

Now, after finding that the police check brings up no mention of this incident, you're telling the CO, 'Actually, I don't have a caution.'

But the CO knows, because you told her so, that in the past you did SOMETHING that brought you to the police's attention. And, to comply with her checklist, she needs you to tell her what it was you did, and what the police said. Just tell her.

Thank you for your reply,

I have explained the situation to her as to why I thought I had one. Just waiting on her reply.