Thread: Resident Visa - concerns about partners age

Question Resident Visa - concerns about partners age

My Canadian husband, and I (Kiwi Citizen) are in the process of applying for a resident visa for him so we can sell up here, move to NZ and then have my Dad move in with us as he is 82 and will soon need care. Hubby has lived in NZ before (18 months) but that was some time ago, although he still has his IRD number - we found he was given a work permit (2001), which I believe does not mean 'resident'. He is now 64, semi retired, (took an early pension) in good health and we pass all the bells and whistles. (Married 14 years this year, known each other for 18).

I have heard horror stories about older partners often not being given residency - which in our case would be a disaster as far as taking care of my Dad is concerned as I simply couldn't go back and forth to NZ all the time.

If anyone has any insight - feel free to chip in. I may be worrying for nothing, but I don't want to have spent the application money if the only reason is 'someone' deems him too old.

First time poster here, but I've been reading loads and loads of posts to see if anyone else was in the same boat.

Cheers!

Hello.

These http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46503.htm are the requirements for having a Residence visa granted under partnership. There is nothing here AT ALL about age. I would guess that people you heard about may have been refused because they didn't meet the health requirement, rather than anything to do directly with anno domini. Alternatively, they may have been applying for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, which does have an age restriction.

By the way, you're quite right, and having a work permit isn't the same as residence.

Thanks for that JandM - we certainly qualify for all of the requirements, so now it's just sit and wait til we can get the medical done I was wondering if it was worth putting the info about our last stay there (back in 2001) Just showing he already has an IRD number etc - just to help out.

There's no reason not to put it in the covering letter if you want to. It won't OFFICIALLY count for anything, but might have a subtle influence, I suppose.

Good luck!