Thread: Permanent Resident Visa - Straight away?

Default Permanent Resident Visa - Straight away?

Hi guy, apologies first of all if this has been answered, did a good search but couldnt see it.

I'm a doctor from Ireland moving to NZ in December. I've been offered a job in Tauranga Hospital. This will be a permanent move for me and do I would like to continue my training over in NZ, to join a training program there I have to be a permanent resident.

Is there anyway I can get Permanent Residency immediately? I've read and re-read the NZIS website but I cant get a definite yes or no answer.

Anyone here able to shed some light on this?

TIA

Yes, you can get PR directly from SMC but the salary offered has to be at least $90,000 per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by l00k View Post
    Yes, you can get PR directly from SMC but the salary offered has to be at least $90,000 per annum.
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply, My Salary is 106,000 but do I need to be with an accredited employer? My hospital or the BOPHB are not on the accredited employers list unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by l00k View Post
    From what I understand OP cannot apply for PR directly from SMC route.

However, Work To Residence has an option to apply for PR directly. more information at this link

Quote Originally Posted by Tauranga15 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply, My Salary is 106,000 but do I need to be with an accredited employer? My hospital or the BOPHB are not on the accredited employers list unfortunately.

Here is the link with more information and below is the excerpt

Applying for a Permanent Resident visa
    Resident visas granted under Skilled Migrant Category and most visas* granted under Residence from Work will allow you to travel outside New Zealand in the first two years of your residence. After this time you will need to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. A Permanent Resident Visa allows unrestricted travel. This means that you can travel outside New Zealand with no limit on time spent out of New Zealand, and return as a resident.

*In some cases, a Work to Resident applicant may be granted a Permanent Resident Visa straight away through their residence application (if they work for an accredited employer and earn over NZ$90,000 per year).

My hospital or the BOPHB are not on the accredited employers list unfortunately.
    It may be worth asking them if they are. Many employers do not choose to be on the list on the INZ website, so as to avoid getting hopeful applications from people when they don't actually have any vacancies available.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It may be worth asking them if they are. Many employers do not choose to be on the list on the INZ website, so as to avoid getting hopeful applications from people when they don't actually have any vacancies available.
    Thanks for the tip, I've sent them off an email to find out.

I would like to continue my training over in NZ, to join a training program there I have to be a permanent resident.
    I've just had a thought about this. It was only in 2010 that INZ changed the names of visas. Before that, the visa you got when successfully applying under SMC was called Permanent Residence. There are quite a lot of official bodies that still haven't changed their paperwork and/or web pages since that time. Universities NOW mostly say that people are entitled to be counted as domestic students if they are Residents, as that is government policy, but the information used to say they had to have PR, i.e. the old name for this visa. I'm wondering if it may be asking if the information about the training you want to do is behind the times on this point. After all, a person with Residence has the entitlement to stay in NZ for ever - the travel conditions only govern re-entry, not staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I've just had a thought about this. It was only in 2010 that INZ changed the names of visas. Before that, the visa you got when successfully applying under SMC was called Permanent Residence. There are quite a lot of official bodies that still haven't changed their paperwork and/or web pages since that time. Universities NOW mostly say that people are entitled to be counted as domestic students if they are Residents, as that is government policy, but the information used to say they had to have PR, i.e. the old name for this visa. I'm wondering if it may be asking if the information about the training you want to do is behind the times on this point. After all, a person with Residence has the entitlement to stay in NZ for ever - the travel conditions only govern re-entry, not staying there.
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware. I'll look into it. Just put my EOI in today so hopefully I'll get some update soon.