Thread: Working for UK Employer in NZ

Default Working for UK Employer in NZ

I would like to emigrate to New Zealand with my family and get permanent residence.
    I'm currently job hunting, but realised my current employer might be happy to continue employing me after I move to NZ.
    I am a senior programmer so can work remotely.
    I would ideally remain an employee of my UK company or failing that invoice my old company from NZ.
    I'm guessing the former might make securing a mortgage easier, but getting a visa harder.
    Either way I would probably earn more than if I got a job with an NZ employer.
    This is a subject that probably covers several different forums, but is it possible from a visa point of view?
    Does NZ provide visas for self employed people?

Hi
    I would be in your same position (project manager and translator for UK company), however I wanted to get my partnership work visa here first so I am waiting for it to be approved before accepting the job offer from Uk, from there I will then have to look into their contract to understand how the tax payment would work through NZ. Does your company employes any other programmers remotely? Maybe they could help looking into this? But yes, I will wait for any ideas regarding this from more experienced members - thanks!

Just wondering if anyone else had anything to add on this one.
    How do self employed / contact workers get visas in general (if at all)?
    I'd have a guaranteed income and would be adding to the NZ balance of payments.
    Surely it must be possible without having to go the whole Entrepreneur route?

Don't forget all your outgoings will be in NZD and your income in GBP, an extremely volatile cross rate. How immigration NZ will judge such an arrangement is beyond me. Good luck.