Thread: immigration interview

Post immigration interview

Hi All you good folks!

My immigration interview under SMC without job offer is expected in September based on my CO's feedback.
    This website has been a great help for my preparation and I would like to thank everyone.

I have one query though. I do not have any friends/relatives in NZ. will this be an obstacle? Will the CO find it as a negative to deny my application?

Please advise.

Don't you have any friend in NZ?

This is not a reason to refuse a visa, if everything about your application is in order. Don't worry!

The reason for asking about connections of family or friendship is that new migrants are presumed to be more calm about all the work of settling into a new country if they can ask people they know about any difficulties or uncertainties. You can answer any such question by saying no, you have no family or friends in NZ, but if you have any problems, you know you can ask... (whoever). Beforehand, you need to do some homework about what organizations there are in NZ, and particularly in the place(s) you might want to live, that can give information. The Citizens' Advice Bureau (CAB) is a good start, as they can refer you on to other places as necessary. http://www.cab.org.nz/gethelp/Pages/home.aspx They have local offices in many places across the country, as well as being accessible on the web or telephone. Using Google and entering for instance "doctors in Wellington", or whatever you are trying to find out about, will give you ideas of where to go locally. And all government departments in NZ will give guidance and information about their services - they are polite and approachable, which can come as a surprise to people from some other countries. So nobody in NZ needs to feel all alone with a problem.

There is an old thread here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38374 which mentions a range of services and organizations helpful to migrants (but there are others).

Hi JandM, lets say, I have a friend their to help me to settle, so still should I tell in the interview about these services you have mentioned above?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    Don't you have any friend in NZ?
    No. I know a few people but i ve never met them...so iam not sure if it would be wise to mention about them in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    Hi JandM, lets say, I have a friend their to help me to settle, so still should I tell in the interview about these services you have mentioned above?

Thanks,
    There is no harm in mentioning these resources. It shows you have done your best to be as well prepared as possible.

I know a few people but i ve never met them...so iam not sure if it would be wise to mention about them in the interview.
    Again, it would do no harm to say that you have some contacts of whom you can ask questions, if that is the case. These days, it is normal to 'know' people over the internet - we know their thoughts and opinions and if they will help us find information, without ever having met them.