Thread: From WTR to SMC: next steps

Default From WTR to SMC: next steps

OK, so we received happy blue WTR stickers in our passports today and are ready to move to NZ in a few weeks. In parallel to this process, I have been hunting/gathering documents to submit an SMC application (my point count is 190 + job offer). I would have done this in lieu of the WTR, but as some of my documentation (notably police certificates from a couple developing countries with their own concepts of timeliness) was not as easily forthcoming, I went the WTR route first.

Now, we have most of our SMC documentation, but have a few questions:
    1) Police certificate from WTR (just one for each of us thankfully): these were not returned and we would plan to apply before they would expire in December. Can we refer to them or do we have to get brand new ones?
    2) Do we do an EOI from NZ or UK? We plan to move to NZ in mid-October and should have a place there sorted by the end of the month. However, as the other police certificates expire in early December, I don't want to be caught out by any delays between the EOI draw and receiving an ITA. We could alternatively submit an EOI from the UK for the next draw in September and submit the ITA documentation before we go but then how would we notify about change of address (and where would next steps be done from?)?
    3) Where does one re-refer to the eMedical submitted for the WTR back in June? Do we just put the NZ code from the earlier application somewhere or is it automatic?

Thanks for any insights!

1. You don't have to have extra certificates. Just mention that they were submitted with your application for your current visas.

2. If you submit your EOI in the UK, just write to INZ at the same address where you sent that when you are moving/have moved. Your application will then be transferred to the nearest appropriate INZ office to be processed, and you will be notified which that will be. (At one time, it would have gone to the nearest INZ office to where you will be living, but of recent years, INZ have been moving cases around to whichever office currently had some spare capacity, so you can't tell in advance where your case will be worked. But in any case, it will be no big deal.)

3. I don't know. The eMedicals are a new thing, and I think you're the first person I've seen asking this question. Your guess seems a very reasonable one, but in your place, I would phone INZ and ask them what they want to see.

Thanks for the quick reply; you rock as always!

Could one submit the ITA from NZ if one does the EOI from the UK, or is that going to confuse things? I am not (that) fussed if I would have to pay the UK fee for the ITA instead of the NZ one (grudgingly) but wouldn't be so keen on submitting the 3 kg of documents by FedEx from NZ to London!

By the way, the partnership docs submitted for the WTR (noted in an earlier post) were more than sufficient; the partnership visa was approved almost instantly - it was my medical referral that held up things. So the advice to inundate them with lots of relationship proof seems to work well!

Could one submit the ITA from NZ if one does the EOI from the UK,
    Yes, indeed, that is what is going to be expected if you've moved after the EOI.
    or is that going to confuse things?
    And no, not at all!