Thread: Anyone moved to NZ as a security tech

Default Anyone moved to NZ as a security tech

Hi all,
    I'm a security tech trying to move to NZ.
    Immigration have told me i need to be registered with the EWRB as an electrical trade to get a visa.
    How can i register as an electrical trade when i work in the electronics trade?
    This is causing me a bit of a headache at the moment.
    Any security techs on here that have been through visa process?
    How did you get around that stupid rule?

Immigration have told me i need to be registered with the EWRB as an electrical trade to get a visa.
    That is the regulation for getting a work visa under Immediate Skill Shortage List - see here. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...-trades-worker But if you look under 'List of skilled occupations' there, you find this, with no mention of EWRB registration.
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category B)

A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
    OR
    The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    OR
    The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    OR
    Five years of relevant work experience.
    How do you match up there?

ANZSCO http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....Trades+Workers just says you have to have a qualification that is the equivalent of a NZ Level 4.

On the other hand, the EWRB website does say, "The Electrical Workers Registration Board was established in 1992 to promote safety for all New Zealanders by ensuring the competence of electrical and electronic workers." (my bolding) So maybe they would just recognize whatever your qualification is as an equivalent. http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/training-and...ualifications/

HI JandM,
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have been in touch with EWRB and their answers were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!

I have looked at the legislation and it states that I require EWRB if I am to be connecting and disconnecting.

It also states that I can connect/disconnect low voltage without being registered.

So now I'm even more confused.

I do have qualifications in Electrical (City&Guilds 2361) and also basic electronics (also City&Guilds)

It sounds as though you need to ask EWRB some more questions, because, one useless responder or not, they are possibly your gateway through INZ regulations.

On the other hand, other people with City and Guilds may be able to tell you if they measure up to NZ Level 4. Anybody?