Thread: Work Visa and IRD number

Default Work Visa and IRD number

Good day

I am a bit confused at the moment, I am planning to go to NZ by making use of the skilled migrant category.

Up to date I have done the following:
    1) Got all our passports, unabridged birth certificates, unabridged marriage certificates in order.
    2) Got all my qualifications documents and prove in order.
    3) Applied for IQA and got the results, my degree in Psychology is recognized on level 7 as hoped.
    4) Compiled my NZ CV and registered it on the new Kiwi's website and on www.seek.co.za.
    As I need a job offer to qualify for the skilled migrant levy I am now actively job hunting. I am looking for a job in Human Resources and I already have 8 years experience as HR-Manager.

I would like to know the following:
    1) Can I apply for a work visa without a job offer? I saw that it might help me to secure a job offer if I am already eligible to work in NZ.
    2) Can I apply for a IRD number without a work Visa? I also saw a hint that that might help me to secure a job offer.
    3) Any other sites anybody can advise where I can post my CV or maybe do job hunting?
    4) Any other documents that you would advise me to get ready in the interim while I am job hunting.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

O I forgot to mention that we also took our IELTS exam and got very good scores.

1) No, you can't apply for a work visa without having a job offer first. The only way to be eligible to work in NZ before having a job offer is to have Residence, which you're already about to apply for, or if you're a young person with a WHV (an open visa which allows the holder to take any job, skilled or not), or the holder of some other kind of open visa, e.g. a partner-sponsored work visa.

2) Yes, it's possible to get an IRD number without having a job, but I very much doubt that it would give any advantage in job-hunting. All it means is that the Inland Revenue have got you in their computer ready to tax any income you may get, and as they'll do that for ANYONE, it doesn't say anything about your having a glowing work record or any such thing.

As I need a job offer to qualify for the skilled migrant levy
    I don't understand what you mean here.