Thread: savings money

Default savings money

Hi guys how much savings would you recommend to take to new Zealand i am emigrating next year and have a wife and son and will start by renting in Christchurch i have about 8000 in savings to bring which is about 20000 NZ please can anyone advise?

As much as you want. Really, $20K alone can be eaten up in rent in Christchurch.

We initially brought over with us at the time $20'000 to help us initially get on our feet with things like buying a car, paying for house insurance, car insurance etc… What was left we put into a Kiwi savings account. We are thinking about transferring more over but thats only because of the exchange rate getting better. Once we where earning a wage over here we felt we did not need to use our savings… Like what Super_BQ above says… "As much as you want"

We moved to Auckland with about $12K cash and a job, the rentals were pretty decent in those days. As you might have got some idea from above posts that house rental could be the deciding factor for the estimates and I have been told that Christchurch is in par with Auckland when it comes to rentals. We lived with my partners cousin for 3 weeks which gave us good idea on which localities to shortlist and arranged viewings, NZ $20K sounds like good enough money (I hope you have already excluded the flight costs in it)

Also I think it will depend on what you're bringing with you. We sold all of our household goods and replaced them when we got to NZ - so we needed the $40,000 we brought over.

thanks guys i have a job to start the savings is just for house car and furniture

Good luck with everything