Thread: One way travel insurance

Default One way travel insurance

My husband and I will be moving back to NZ in December. I am a NZ citizen and he is an Israeli citizen who will be entering the country on a work visa (I hope, we have fallen victim to the current 2 month wait for a NZ police certificate).

We don't need insurance for him once we arrive as he will be on a 2 year visa and will be eligible for healthcare in NZ, but we DO need one way travel insurance for the both of us, just to cover the period of the flight/s from Israel to NZ. Basically cover for the flights and luggage, and medical in case the unexpected happens.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I've been searching and am not having much luck. All I've found so far is companies offering such policies to UK residents, which doesn't help, and a company in Israel who will offer cover but they don't have an English website or English customer service reps so that won't work either.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Thank you

Where does it say you need to be insured for the duration of the flight to NZ?

Super_BQ, even though nothing says you must, I wouldn't travel half way round the world without some cover for my possessions, and some health cover in case I got sick and, for instance, had to be hospitalized at whatever country the refuelling stop is in.

Homesick Kiwi, can't your husband negotiate with the Israeli company on behalf of both of you?

On the other hand, I see several companies here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=nz+trave...ready+overseas offering cover to NZ nationals travelling home from overseas. And here https://www.worldwideinsure.com/inte...-insurance.htm http://service.worldnomads.com/custo...eas-?b_id=4646 are companies that seem to have the same thing for citizens of Israel.

Thank you JandM, and you were exactly right with what you said, I will not take the risk of two 12hour ish flights, all my personal belongings and the possibility of sickness during the flights without travel insurance. I'm an anxious worrier by nature and always have to have a plan for every outcome!

Yes my husband could technically deal with the insurance with the Israeli company, but, as much as I adore the ground he walks on, its not the type of thing hes good at. I'd worry about missed important details, and more importantly if god forbid he was to fall very ill or have an accident, I would not be capable of sorting out the insurance as my Hebrew is far too basic.

Thank you so much for those suggestions, I will definately have a look at those.

And thank you for the amazingly helpful replies on the hundreds of threads I've been reading over the last few days, you are amazing to dedicate so much of your time helping people!

I found travelling from Uk to NZ that not much was advertised online but that the usual travel insurer had (very reasonable) one way policies if phoned. Perhaps try ringing the companies directly. Good Luck.