Thread: Thalassemia - no symptoms, still a problem?

Default Thalassemia - no symptoms, still a problem?

Hi,

My Vietnamese girlfriend is a couple months away from applying for residency as my partner. She's just had a full blood count where she was found to be (slightly) below the ranges for MCV/MCH, and the lab suspects she has Thalassemia due to it (and probably other results?).

However, she doesn't present any symptoms aside from maybe tiredness due to likely iron deficiency. Thus, I think it likely won't have an impact on her application, as it seems reading similar cases that applications have been approved with worse. Even so, do we have anything to worry about? Is there any action we can take after confirming the diagnosis?

Thanks!

Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46506.htm are the regulations about the acceptable standard of health for Residence. It doesn't look as if she will have any difficulties long term, but if the medical is referred, the MA may want to know exactly what the diagnosis and suggested treatment, if any, is.

Hi.

I am just wondering how is your girlfriend's medical going on because I am on the same situation as hers?

Camzace hasn't been back on the forum since making this one post, so may not see your question.