Thread: Partnership Temp Work Visa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Partnership Temp Work Visa

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking here in the forums for about a week now and am so appreciative of all I have learnt, and thankful to everyone for their shared experiences!

I am aware that I am probably asking a question that in reality cannot be answered, but it's worth a try, even just to hear stories of similar experiences and how it worked out for you.

Background:

Me - NZ Citizen
    Husband - Israeli Citizen

Met in NZ while husband was on a long term shortages list working visa (I don't know the proper name for that)
    Met Feb 2012, Engaged August 2012 - not living together during this time, moved to Israel April 2013 and moved in together. Married in NZ in Dec 2013, returned to Israel end of Dec 2013, have been here in Israel (and desperate to come home) ever since.

Plan is to return to NZ in December this year, I already have a job offer from my previous employer to start at the beginning of January 2016, so time is quite limited.

Decided to apply for work visa for my husband instead of residence visa because of the processing times.

June 2015 - Started gathering evidence and documentation, organising translations etc
    August 2015 - Sent application to Bangkok office
    28th August - received email from CO confirming receipt of application
    29th August - email from CO requesting more evidence of Partnership, After I enquired as to what evidence I should submit, he said that he is 'satisfied that the partnership is genuine and stable' from our considerable evidence, but that he needed more evidence of living together. We scrambled to get more evidence and sent it back to him by email that day.
    29th August - email from CO stating that the new documentation provided was 'sufficient proof of our shared address'.

My impression at that point is that he is so far satisfied about our partnership in all accounts - that we are genuine, stable, and living together, and that this is not in question - would that be a fair assumption?

CO then emails to say that they have applied for NZ police certificates for both of us, and that the current waiting time is TWO MONTHS! - Cue major panic from me, but what can we do but wait? (Wish we had known of the backlog somehow, would have applied for the certificates myself months ago).

Email from CO to advise that medical has been received and that standard of health has been deemed acceptable. Says that now 'we will just need to wait for your NZPC'

Husband has Drink driving conviction from 2011 in NZ (he was suitably ashamed and wont do that EVER again), which we of course explained on the application form. The CO hadn't mentioned anything about it, and I noticed from reading these forums that you can be asked to apply for a character waiver - so we asked the CO if we should apply for one.

Response from CO: 'A character waiver will not be required at this time, however we need to wait for the NZPC's result' - I'm assuming from this they want to make sure there is nothing on my record (supporting partner - clean history) and nothing else on my husbands record other than what we wrote on the application form. Since I know there is nothing else on his record - I'm feeling confident at this point and only really worrying about time frames.

That was the last we heard from the CO until today - we received an email from him requesting my husband's military identification number, Background, and details of military service by next Monday. I was surprised - I didn't think this information was needed for a work visa (wasn't expecting these questions until residency application time) as he has had work visa's before and was never asked. My husband never really served in the Military - he started basic training - but was exempted from serving in the Military about 2 months into training. He doesn't think he was ever even given any kind of Military identification number and said those are not usually given until you are assigned to a unit. He's going to look through his paperwork to see if he has anything but is not confident there will be anything to find.

I emailed CO back explaining what I just wrote above, and said that we would look for an ID number at home tonight and will let him know. I also asked in what form should we present all this information to him (e.g. is there a form that needs to be filled out, should we write a letter, or should we just give him all the info in an email) Of course - just out luck - received automatic out of office reply saying he is out of the office until next week. So wont have any answers or guidance from him until next week.

If you are still reading after this novel, I am amazed, thank you for being patient with me!

My questions are:
    * Should I be worried that they are asking about military service for a work visa? Is this unusual?
    * Are they likely to ask for documentation to prove the exemption? I don't think we have anything, and the red tape here is a nightmare - considering it took three months to get a birth certificate here - I can only have nightmares about how long it would take to get an exemption letter from the defense services here - not to mention getting it translated!
    * What do you think our overall chances are of being approved for this visa? Does it sound positive?
    * Anyone have any experiences to share?

If we are declined, I don't know what I'll do. Can't be here anymore, need to be home. I am a worrier by nature and have an anxiety condition, this is like a new form of torture.

My impression at that point is that he is so far satisfied about our partnership in all accounts - that we are genuine, stable, and living together, and that this is not in question - would that be a fair assumption?
    Yes, I think so.

Response from CO: 'A character waiver will not be required at this time, however we need to wait for the NZPC's result' - I'm assuming from this they want to make sure there is nothing on my record (supporting partner - clean history) and nothing else on my husbands record other than what we wrote on the application form. Since I know there is nothing else on his record - I'm feeling confident at this point and only really worrying about time frames.
    Still sounding okay. I'm quite surprised that they haven't asked him to go for a character waiver, though, as over the last couple of years, NZ are treating DUI and other driving offences much more seriously. It's probably because he's a) been working in NZ before and was no trouble, and b) is now married to a NZer, if he is treated reasonably lightly.

When someone comes from an area where there is a history of terrorist activity and/or repression, INZ are concerned not to issue a visa to them if they may have been in a job where they could have been responsible for any of the decisions. I expect asking about your husband's army record may be part of the same line of thinking. You're lucky if they haven't gone in for the enhanced national security check, which can take MUCH longer. As to how to give the information, in the absence of any guidance from the CO, just send it in an email in the first instance, but be ready to back up with anything further if he turns out to need it. Don't overthink things - do everything the straightforward way first, and don't even think if there's something more awkward you should be doing, because very often, there simply - isn't!

If we are declined, I don't know what I'll do. Can't be here anymore, need to be home. I am a worrier by nature and have an anxiety condition, this is like a new form of torture.
    Of course I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable and tense. BUT you're dealing with the NZ government here, trying to fit your husband through their immigration regulations, which are part of the laws of the country. As such, they don't take any account of anyone's feelings or what inconvenience may be caused by delays. It all takes as long as they need it to take, and that's it. There's nothing anyone can do, and certainly nothing INZ would do differently. If you look around on the forum, you'll find dozens of threads with people saying how they're so anxious and upset and fed up with waiting, and they don't know how they can bear what is happening to them. This may sound familiar. It hasn't made any difference to what happened in the end, or hurried up an INZ response.

The only thing to do when dealing with INZ is to keep calm if you can, even when you're feeling like biting the carpet - breathe, and deliberately make yourself think of something good in real life, as that's better for your well-being. You're not alone in all you're feeling, truly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my long drawn out post!

Still sounding okay. I'm quite surprised that they haven't asked him to go for a character waiver, though, as over the last couple of years, NZ are treating DUI and other driving offences much more seriously. It's probably because he's a) been working in NZ before and was no trouble, and b) is now married to a NZer, if he is treated reasonably lightly.

He was also granted another 1 year work visa, before we met, but after the original conviction. So I think you are right there. I think maybe we should write the letter anyway and have it ready just in case it is requested after the NZPC comes.

When someone comes from an area where there is a history of terrorist activity and/or repression, INZ are concerned not to issue a visa to them if they may have been in a job where they could have been responsible for any of the decisions. I expect asking about your husband's army record may be part of the same line of thinking. You're lucky if they haven't gone in for the enhanced national security check, which can take MUCH longer. As to how to give the information, in the absence of any guidance from the CO, just send it in an email in the first instance, but be ready to back up with anything further if he turns out to need it. Don't overthink things - do everything the straightforward way first, and don't even think if there's something more awkward you should be doing, because very often, there simply - isn't!
    Thanks! I didn't even think of that - but it does seem quite likely. He never actually served, he was granted an exemption from service and discharged two months into basic training, hopefully we can find some kind of letter confirming this in case it is requested.

Of course I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable and tense. BUT you're dealing with the NZ government here, trying to fit your husband through their immigration regulations, which are part of the laws of the country. As such, they don't take any account of anyone's feelings or what inconvenience may be caused by delays. It all takes as long as they need it to take, and that's it. There's nothing anyone can do, and certainly nothing INZ would do differently. If you look around on the forum, you'll find dozens of threads with people saying how they're so anxious and upset and fed up with waiting, and they don't know how they can bear what is happening to them. This may sound familiar. It hasn't made any difference to what happened in the end, or hurried up an INZ response

Please don't think I'm meaning to complain about the procedures, I'm really not. I know they are the laws, that they are there for a good reason, and that there is a procedure that must be followed. Not all family and friends here know we are leaving yet, so because of this it's still a semi secret, and I needed to just get that out and say it (or type it)

The only thing to do when dealing with INZ is to keep calm if you can, even when you're feeling like biting the carpet - breathe, and deliberately make yourself think of something good in real life, as that's better for your well-being. You're not alone in all you're feeling, truly.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you, sage advice, anyone who knows me will say I'm definately not a calm and laid back person (like my husband) I'll keep that in mind and try a little more to relax!

Thanks again