Thread: CO believes I lied in my EOI

Default CO believes I lied in my EOI

Hi guys,

I just heard back from my CO with some extra information that he requires. The last pointer on his email states that he believes I lied on me eoi because I said no for 'have you ever been refused a visa to NZ?'. My parents had filed for a Residency multiple times way over a decade ago when I was only 6 and 8 years old and a dependant. I had no clue what the status of that application was since I was just a child. I marked it as no since I have never been rejected a visa where I was an applicant. My CO is requesting an explanation and has said that he has grounds to decline my Residency.

Has anybody ever experienced this? What should I reply? Will they understand?

It's very likely that they will understand. You have been sent this email exactly so you can have the chance to explain why you have said no, when your name is actually on record with INZ as having been refused. You now need to tell them exactly what you have just done here - that being only a young child at the time when your parents applied, you were not told all the details of what was going on or why the family didn't go to NZ. You answered on the EOI for your own actions as an adult, with no intention of lying, and of course are very sorry that your knowledge of the past was lacking, but you had no intention to mislead.

Just my 10 cents if I helps.
    Are your parents still in NZ?
    were you included in the visa application that was rejected? Were you aware of it?
    I think that if you were part of the application , then they might consider you were rejected when your parents applied.
    As administrator said, explain the whole past story with evidences if required

Quote Originally Posted by NiaM View Post
    Hi guys,

I just heard back from my CO with some extra information that he requires. The last pointer on his email states that he believes I lied on me eoi because I said no for 'have you ever been refused a visa to NZ?'. My parents had filed for a Residency multiple times way over a decade ago when I was only 6 and 8 years old and a dependant. I had no clue what the status of that application was since I was just a child. I marked it as no since I have never been rejected a visa where I was an applicant. My CO is requesting an explanation and has said that he has grounds to decline my Residency.

Has anybody ever experienced this? What should I reply? Will they understand?

My advice would be to provide an affidavit (sworn declaration) explaining the situation.