Thread: Ta Moko

Default Ta Moko

Hey guys,

I fear that this topic doesn't really fit in here, but as the other forums didn't seem to be the right place either I post it here, because this forum draws most of the attention.

I'm desperately seeking information on Maori tattoos (ta moko) and their commercial version the kirituhis. The latter ones are maori-style tattoos but they don't have a tribal meaning like the mokos. I'm considering to get one done but as this is a very sensitive topic I would like to get some expert-advise on this. I don't want to insult maori-culture by getting something under my skin that looks like some tribe's name or has any other cultural/spiritual meanings to a maori. I just like that style and have also found a few maori-style tattoos on the net that can be worn by non-maoris. My question now is if anyone of you guys knows a place in Europe (preferably Germany, GB, Netherlands) where this kind of work is done? I don't know when I'll make to NZ so I would like to go through this while I'm still here...

Thanks a lot in advance,

Chris

ps dont forget that when you have a medical they do extra tests for anyone with tattoos or piercings

Thumbs down

Hiya mate,try tattoo.co.uk and ask the same question on their forum and you will definately find a suitible artist.
    Katandbob are right,because im heavily tattooed i had to have all sorts of extra blood tests,including liver function for some reason,this set my medical decision back nearly 9 weeks!

I have just one tattoo, and I didn't require any extra tests. They asked me if I had it done at a reputable place - I had - and that was it.

Mine was done a while ago, so I don't know if that had any bearing on their decision.

Try here Chris;
    http://www.tamoko.org.nz/
    There was an artist working my local studio recently. who was of Maori extraction and came from Christchurch. I beleive he is now working his way around Europe. I will try and find out for you.

they do extra tests for anyone with tattoos or piercings
    We both have piercings and weren't asked to do any additional medical tests.....

My doc saw my tattoo when I had my medical and his only comment was 'hey that's cool'. Certainly no extra blood tests. Don't know whether 2 piercings in each ear count as 'excessive' but they didn't draw any attention either.

As for the moko - I love them, and have seen several Maori women with them. however, I would be very 'hesitant' for the want of a better word - to have one done for fear of upsetting/insulting/annoying somebody.

Diny

Hey folks,

thank you heaps for all the information. I will now make my way through your websites and see what happens...

So long, and have a nice day,

Chris