Thread: Buying a new car

Default Buying a new car

OK now that immigration issues have been sorted out, I can get on to more fun things like moving logistics!

One of the things we would like get organized from the get-go is buying a car. Our plan is to buy new, and we have a shortlist of models (and have driven these too so know their ins and outs) to consider. Has anyone had any recent experience trying to do this remotely in advance of arrival, given that it's really a question of specs and price? And what's the scope for negotiation on price for new in NZ?

I don't know about buying a new car as we took ours with us from the UK, but whereabouts are you moving to in NZ? It may be that you can get by without a car for a few weeks while you look round. Ours didn't arrive in Wellington for about 12 weeks and we just used the bus and walked (and hired a van when we moved for the few things we had before the container arrived.) Just a thought so you don't need to rush.

Not an option - moving to the South Island (Christchurch) and commuting, so a car will be essential.

I bought a car the day after I arrived, had a rental for the first week (APEX) and did the drive round the first day to the bank to get the cards and then on to the car companies. Arranged to have it delivered to APEX the day we handed back the rental and away we went. Good luck on your move.

We've purchased four cars in the five years we've been here.

The first was a second hand Toyota Corolla and the second was Nissan Maxima which was also second hand. We traded these in when we replaced them with two new Hyundai cars, an i40 and and i30.

Purchasing a new car in New Zealand isn't too dissimilar from purchasing a new car in the UK.