Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZQA - Degree assessment

Post NZQA - Degree assessment

Hi friends,

I have a BSc (Hons) in Computer Networks degree from a UK University. It is a top-up degree and I have a letter from the University that I have exempted 1st and 2nd years. I completed the degree in Year 2013 march. Will there be any issue with points and for the IQA? (Also, I have professional certification MCITP, CCNA (expired) ).

Much appreciate your quick replies.

Thanks in advance

Hi Dishan,

Submit all your documents for IQA, make sure IQA outcome match with LTSSL list. If IQA outcome match with LTSSL list, then only claim any bonus point. If it does not match then make sure you search your points else where.

I have burn my time and money, thus giving you advise.

You need to check here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45798.htm to see if your degree is exempt from assessment. For that to be the case, the degree would need to be named in the top chart, and it would need to be mentioned alongside the name of your university in the second chart, with your year of graduation being covered by the dates mentioned.

What other qualifications did you have, that gave you exemption from the first two years of the course? Those MAY need to be assessed as well.

Hi Jandm & JP-CPT,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was exempted through professional qualifications and work experience. University issued me a letter. Isn't it enough?

Your advice are very important to me.

Thanks

Since you have the full degree from the UK university, it may very well be perfectly all right for the IQA. The reason I said about why you were exempted is that NZQA usually look at the whole course followed when preparing the IQA - the subject matter studied, for how long and to what depth. As you were considered by the university already to have covered material equivalent to years 1 and 2 of the course, NZQA may possibly feel that they need to look at that aspect of it.

But all that is just my thinking, and I am nothing official. I have not heard of anyone being in the same position as you. If someone has, and they read this, I hope they will post on the thread to let us know what happened. Otherwise, you will have to put it to NZQA, and see what they say.

Thanks Jandm,

Currently, I have 4 and 1/2 years experience as a system administrator (IT) since May 2011. Also I finished my degree in March 2013.
    I wanted to know, how they are calculating points/bonus points?

Thank you

Look here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm SM6 has a chart giving an overview of what points are available, with other sections giving the details requirements for being able to claim the points under the various headings. This section is reliable, which is not always the case for the automatic points checker on the INZ website.

Hi Jandm,

Thanks for your advice. I went through the manual. But, I'm not clear with the work experience points.
    Let say, I have 4 years work experience as a system administrator. But, after having my degree I have only 2 years.
    Do they count full 4 years as work experience or 2 years? and How the bonus points are relevant to this example?

Many thanks

Your work experience has to meet the requirements at SM11.10 http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm, so for any of it to be recognized, it has to be in a comparable labour market or with a multi-national commercial entity.

INZ most often regard *skilled* experience as coming after the gaining of a qualification, but some people have successfully argued and proved that they had skills before they graduated. (SM11.10.5 b) This is particularly likely to apply to your situation, where you had trade qualifications beforehand.

About bonus points, you need to look here http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ and enter your career in the skills checker. Click on the green bar for Long Term Skill Shortage List, and you'll find the drop-down box lists NZ degrees. Your degree needs to be found by NZQA, when they do your IQA, to be equivalent to one of those NZ degrees, in order for you to claim bonus points, both for your work experience, and for the qualification itself. (That is, you would be entitled to some points for the qualification, some for your work experience, then bonus points for the qualification and bonus points for the work experience.)

Hi JandM,

I got it. Thanks for your help. Please see my all points as I suppose.

Qualification (Degree) : 50
    Work Experience: 15 (4 years)
    Bonus points for work experience in an identified future growth area: 10
    Bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage: 10
    Qualification in an identified future growth area: 10
    Qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage: 10

Total Points: 135

Is it worth to apply with 135 points?

Thanks
    dishan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast