Thread: Guidance on searching for Job's

Default Guidance on searching for Job's

Ok I am currently living in South Africa but I am eager to migrate to NZ. I am planning to make use of the skilled migrant category to apply for my PR. Currently I have 100 points but as it is not in an area of skilled shortages I am hoping to secure a job offer to ensure that I have 150 points to enhance my chances of getting selected from the pool once I submit my EOI.

I have applied on-line for some positions already but it is clear that as I currently do not hold a NZ Work Visa I am not eligible to work in NZ. What is frustrating to me is that I can not apply for a work Visa without a job offer.

How can I find employers that are willing to give me a job offer so that I can apply for my work visa and therefor be eligible to work in NZ?

I have been an HR-Manager for 8 years.

Thank's for all guidance in advance.

If you have the offer of a skilled job, your EOI will be taken from the pool at the next draw with 100 or more points. There is no extra advantage in having higher numbers. Job offer + 100 WILL be selected.

Here's an old post which may help explain the difficulty you're having. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952 But people DO manage.

If you are a South African citizen you can go to NZ without a visa for 3 months and while there you might stand a better chance of getting offered a job. I know this is taking a gamble, but it depends how much you want this. Just be aware that if you are going to NZ to take a good look at the country and decide if you would like to live there one day and you have purchased a return flight or can prove you have sufficient funds to buy one, your visa waiver should be fine. If your specific purpose is to find a job, you are better off trying to get some interviews lined up and then applying for a visitor visa to attend those interviews.

We found that, though my husband had a few interviews, it seemed to be a bit of a sticky point that he wasn't in NZ. The interviewers made all of the right sounds about it not being a problem but we were left with the distinct impression that they'd prefer someone here, in NZ. My husband took a sabbatical from his job in Norway and we arrived yesterday to try our luck in our 3 month time frame, as well as to make certain that NZ really is right for us. We'll be taking the opportunity to both get an impression of different parts of the country and follow up on potential leads. As Karen said, it's a gamble but it really depends on how much you want it. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    We found that, though my husband had a few interviews, it seemed to be a bit of a sticky point that he wasn't in NZ. The interviewers made all of the right sounds about it not being a problem but we were left with the distinct impression that they'd prefer someone here, in NZ. My husband took a sabbatical from his job in Norway and we arrived yesterday to try our luck in our 3 month time frame, as well as to make certain that NZ really is right for us. We'll be taking the opportunity to both get an impression of different parts of the country and follow up on potential leads. As Karen said, it's a gamble but it really depends on how much you want it. Good luck to you!
    Hello Vann,

I hope your investment of going to NZ has paid off. It sounds like a decision I myself must try. All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you have the offer of a skilled job, your EOI will be taken from the pool at the next draw with 100 or more points. There is no extra advantage in having higher numbers. Job offer + 100 WILL be selected.

Here's an old post which may help explain the difficulty you're having. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952 But people DO manage.
    Hi JandM

I am sure you know a lot about work in New Zealand and would be greatful if you could help me in my doubt

I am a citizen of India and currently staying in New Zealand. I studied post graduation diploma level 8 in hotel management few years back in New Zealand and am not a resident yet. I am looking for work under essential skills category all around New Zealand.

1. Is it necessary that I need to get a Supervisory or Management level 2 job to get the visa approved due to my qualification and experience of last 4 years or can I get any job of level 5 worker class as well to get sponsored by an employer ?

2. Also if I am able to find a job less than 55000 with accredited employer does that support my sponsorship?

3. Unfortunately I am not a chef so cant apply for skilled work but what about a "kitchen hand" or a waiter in regions where there is skill shortage?

4. What if my qualification and experience is a bit different than the job I get ? example if not hotel and I get a job in sales, marketing, administration or retail will immigration still be fine if the employer wants me ?

Thanks and Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    If you are a South African citizen you can go to NZ without a visa for 3 months and while there you might stand a better chance of getting offered a job. I know this is taking a gamble, but it depends how much you want this. Just be aware that if you are going to NZ to take a good look at the country and decide if you would like to live there one day and you have purchased a return flight or can prove you have sufficient funds to buy one, your visa waiver should be fine. If your specific purpose is to find a job, you are better off trying to get some interviews lined up and then applying for a visitor visa to attend those interviews.
    Hi Karen

I would like to know your opinion as well on my query if you could help I would be very greatful :

I am a citizen of India and currently staying in New Zealand. I studied post graduation diploma level 8 in hotel management few years back in New Zealand and am not a resident yet. I am looking for work under essential skills category all around New Zealand.

1. Is it necessary that I need to get a Supervisory or Management level 2 job to get the visa approved due to my qualification and experience of last 4 years or can I get any job of level 5 worker class as well to get sponsored by an employer ?

2. Also if I am able to find a job less than 55000 with accredited employer does that support my sponsorship?

3. Unfortunately I am not a chef so cant apply for skilled work but what about a "kitchen hand" or a waiter in regions where there is skill shortage?

4. What if my qualification and experience is a bit different than the job I get ? example if not hotel and I get a job in sales, marketing, administration or retail will immigration still be fine if the employer wants me ?

Thanks and Regards

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa are the INZ instructions to an employer thinking about sponsoring a foreign applicant for an Essential Skills visa.

1 and 3. The answers derive from those instructions. If it's a skilled job in line with your qualifications, on the essential skills list, the employer can sponsor you with no further formalities. If it's a low-skilled job, he would have to prove that he had been unable to recruit any NZ national or resident, or, at least, nobody suitable, before being able to sponsor you.

And here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...ited-employers are the notes for accredited employers.

From these, you will see that the answer to your question 2 is no - the Talent (Accredited Employers) visa requires that salary threshold.

4. If a job arises in a different skill area from your qualification, you are unlikely to be able to get a visa from it, because you have to be able to show you are qualified - you can see that from the INZ website pages about the Essential Skills visa. However, some jobs, as described in ANZSCO, quote a number of years' experience as being acceptable in place of a paper qualification. If you did some other work before going to study, then it's possible you might have enough experience to count, but you would have to have the evidence.

If the job is a low-skilled or unskilled one (and this edges into your question 3 as well), INZ are not keen to grant visas to foreigners for such (as there are plenty of unskilled and low-skilled NZers who need to make a living), so they would apply the labour market tests very strictly. If INZ find that there are NZ applicants or potential applicants within the area who could be trained to do the job, they will not allow a foreigner a visa for it.