Thread: Study or visitor visa for child?

Smile Study or visitor visa for child?

Hi all!

I have been granted a 5 year work visa and I have bought my ticket to travel to Auckland in November (yay!).

I have a wife, a 3-year-old child and my wife is 8 months pregnant with my new baby. I have some doubts about how my family will get the visas to join me in NZ.

This is my plan:
    1. My baby will be born in mid-October.
    2. As soon as my baby is born and we get him a passport, we send a work visa application (Family Stream) for my wife and the visa applications for my 2 sons (hopefully in late October or early November).
    3. I arrive at NZ in November 5th.
    4. We wait for the visas to be approved and the family travels to NZ in mid or late December.

My main question is about what type of visa do I need to request for my 3-year-old. I've read that he needs a study visa to attend school, but that will happen when he turns 5. Should I request a visitor visa or can he apply for a study visa? I assume my new baby will need a visitor visa.

Besides that, does anyone have advice about my plan.. does it sound realistic? Am I applying for the right visa types? Does INZ approve visas in time for this plan to happen?

Thank you for your help!!

You or your wife need to fill in applications for visitor visas for each of the children, as if it were the child him/herself doing it, but signing on their behalf as the parent. There needs to be a covering letter linking your wife's application, and the children's applications to your work visa, then the her partner-sponsored temporary work visa and the children's visitor visas will match your visa for length of time.

It's impossible to be certain how long processing will take. It's not advisable to book the flights till you have a clear idea of when the visas will be available. The INZ processing times page for your branch should give an estimate near the time of application.

Thank you very much JandM, I've seen you help a lot of people in this forum

The Washington INZ branch tries to give final answers to applications within 20 working days, so in the best case we should be ok.

About my 3-year-old son, it seems you suggest he should apply for a visitor visa and not yet to a study visa, is that right?

That's right. They don't issue student visas to those under five years of age.