Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens in animal quarantine?

Default What happens in animal quarantine?

Hi all,

our dog is flying from Germany to New Zealand at the end of the month and needs to go into quarantine for the minimum 10 days before he is released. We are in the middle of the fairly extensive vet treatments, tests and documentation required for biosecurity clearance.

What exactly happens in quarantine? Does the animal just get checked by MPI officials regularly and so long as nothing pops up they're free to go, or are there further blood tests etc. that are done while he's there? He's not a big fan of blood tests and I am a little anxious that he'll be stuck with needles on a daily basis.

If anyone has any inside information I would love to hear it! He's going into Qualified Pet Services in Auckland.

Cheers
    RCG

I haven't seen anybody post on the threads about that side of the pet importing process, but plenty of people have brought their animals in, so I hope you'll get some helpful information soon. Otherwise, you could ask Qualified Pet Services themselves what to expect.

Not totally sure about NZ Quarantine but I will share our experience with Singapore. Our pet went through 1 month mandatory Quarantine there and there wasn't any tests done on him, we used to visit him once every 5 to 7 days, took him for walks, played with him etc. When we moved to UK there wasn't any specific quarantine (except that his blood test were conducted with a 6 months gap before he flew) and likewise there wasn't any quarantine when we moved from UK to NZ (except that his blood test were conducted with a 1 month gap before he flew). The Pet movers gave us all the information every time.

To be honest I was totally unimpressed with our quarantine facility.(Pethaven quarantine) We flew 9 yr old lab from US and he spent 10 days there. He was thoroughly checked and healthy upon leaving US and when we saw him to pick him up 10 days later he was skinny and looked shocking. They treated an ear infection(not there when we left US) and that was fine and then they told us dog had a potentially fatal heart rhythm that could cause him to die at any point, and then asked me..had he been checked by a vet before he left the US?
    These are people who are meant to be familiar with MAF procedure. Anyways we had him checked next day by local vet who never heard a heart issue, and he is now almost 14 and although coning towards the end of his life, no one has ever found an issue with his heart.

So, no, no daily bloods.

I hope your quarantine facility is better..
    Last edited by Hagabel; 10th September 2015 at 06:26 PM.

I actually emailed QPS and found out that no, there are no further tests done in quarantine unless something has been forgotten or not done properly before we left. I'm hoping we avoid this situation.

On that note, our experience with our pet shipper has been worse than awful. They are totally incompetent and we are less than three weeks out from flight day without a booking for the dog. They had no idea we needed an import permit or that vet certificates needed to be filled out and I am a little nervous about what will go wrong next. We've had to be extremely onto it. If anyone wants to know what pet shipper not to use then PM me!

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, how horrible for you - as if you didn't have enough to do right now. Here's hoping it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by arrseegee View Post
    I actually emailed QPS and found out that no, there are no further tests done in quarantine unless something has been forgotten or not done properly before we left. I'm hoping we avoid this situation.

On that note, our experience with our pet shipper has been worse than awful. They are totally incompetent and we are less than three weeks out from flight day without a booking for the dog. They had no idea we needed an import permit or that vet certificates needed to be filled out and I am a little nervous about what will go wrong next. We've had to be extremely onto it. If anyone wants to know what pet shipper not to use then PM me!

Thanks for the replies!
    Name and shame! We've shipped dogs and everything has to be exactly right. They need to be told they are incompetent - if things aren't done properly your dogs won't get let in. And there are limited places on each flight for animals.
    On a positive side dogs cope with it well.

We used these guys and they were really good. From DC to AKL.
    http://www.iptlax.com/

I used QPS last October. They were fine.

We imported two dogs and our cat. Make absolutely sure that all papers and tests are complete. Put an extra eye on the dates of vaccination as requested. Even if you receive an ok to import from the government a fuzzy vet during transfer or even at the quarantine facility could reject the animal. They repeat a blood test at the facility to confirm some of the results. [Edited for 'English only' Forum rule 2. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236] PM is ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast