Thread: JSV - Job Offer in NZ

Default JSV - Job Offer in NZ

Under Job Search Visa (JSV) - If I have a permanent job offer in New Zealand, and the NZ company assign me a project but it's in overseas for 3 months or so. The payroll is still under NZ payroll. Will this impact the JSV to Residence Visa policy/process?

Anybody care to share their experience on JSV?

I THINK that ought to be all right, assuming that the company intend you to go on working for them after the overseas mission.

Would the overseas part be immediately upon taking up employment?

Hi JandM,

Sorry for late reply.

My situation is I was offer/got invitation for SMC JSV, whereby i need to submit the document before end of Nov 2015. I am planning to submit the document by early Nov' 2015. Once it has been approve I need to be in NZ by Feb 2016 (If my calculation correct).

Currently I'm attached with a project which will end mid of next year (2016) in Malaysia. The current company don't see any issues moving me to the NZ payroll. Meaning to say, my job offer will be based on NZ employment contract offer and NZ payroll. But, i need to be in Malaysia till the project complete and back to NZ.

The question is:

1- If SMC JSV approve in November 2015 - while I'm still in Malaysia, can i start working under NZ employment on December 2015 first before arriving to NZ on February 2016 to grant entry permission allowing a stay of nine months. I'm planning to stay in NZ for 3-4 weeks before heading back to Malaysia till the project complete.

This will enable me to accumulate 3 months NZ employment history and IRD (tax department) history.

OR

2- I have to to come to NZ (February 2016) first, start working under NZ employment on February 2016 itself. Plan to stay in NZ for 3-4 weeks before heading back to Malaysia till the project complete.

The date of the NZ employment offer letter will be based on which approach is acceptable.

If i choose approach (1), will there be any issue with the NZ immigration? Do i really need to be in NZ to get the offer letter and work there first.

Lastly, can i submit my job offer letter together with SMC JSV application documentation. Will this changes the SMC application outcome...

Letting you know I have seen this though I haven't time to answer straight away.

This is an interesting situation and I am not sufficiently sure of how this is best handled to give you definitive advice. I feel you should leave your application for the JSV as late as possible before the deadline. My belief is that you need to have entered NZ to activate your visa before you can be deemed to be working for an NZ employer.

I suggest you get in touch with the Case Officer who handled your SMC application, explain the situation and see what s/he says. When there is any doubt about how a rule will be interpreted, it is best to ask the person who be making the decision. Good luck!