Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Resident visa travel conditions and validity

Default NZ Resident visa travel conditions and validity

Hi JandM / Karen,

In other thread, posts indicated that of late their resident visa travel conditions expiry 2 years after the visa stamping date. This, I believe, is a departure from the earlier where the last allowed date for 1st entry to NZ would be 1 year from the stamped visa date and another 2 years from the visa activation date(post 1st arrival in NZ), an unlimited travel into NZ would be allowed.

So, potentially, one had a 3 year date from the date of visa stamping before the travel conditions expired. I believe the 'change' is for candidates who applied from outside NZ. Has this been noted by INZ in their formal communications /releases?

Please help me understand as this must be factored in my /our plans of NZ travel, finance, job hunt etc.

Regards,
    laxgr

Experts,

Any update you wish to share on my query?

Regards,
    laxgr

Could you please rephrase your questions?

Looks too complicated for me at least.

Cut it down to more than one simpler questions; so experts can answer.

Where have you got this impression that there has been a change from? Please give a link.

Quote Originally Posted by laxgr View Post
    Hi JandM / Karen,

In other thread, posts indicated that of late their resident visa travel conditions expiry 2 years after the visa stamping date. This, I believe, is a departure from the earlier where the last allowed date for 1st entry to NZ would be 1 year from the stamped visa date and another 2 years from the visa activation date(post 1st arrival in NZ), an unlimited travel into NZ would be allowed.

So, potentially, one had a 3 year date from the date of visa stamping before the travel conditions expired. I believe the 'change' is for candidates who applied from outside NZ. Has this been noted by INZ in their formal communications /releases?

Please help me understand as this must be factored in my /our plans of NZ travel, finance, job hunt etc.

Regards,
    laxgr
    You appear to be confusing between visa being placed in a passport and it being 'stamped' on arrival (activated) in NZ?

If you are still overseas you can have a visa in your passport without it being activated and the travel conditions started i.e. they allow you up to 1 year to get your house in order and migrate to NZ, on arrival it will be activated and travel conditions begin.

Ian

He probably talks about thread which I opened a while ago
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47729

I am currently outside New Zealand and my visa is apparently already activated. Nevertheless I am planning to travel to New Zealand in October so it has no much influence on my future plans to get permanent residence, considering that I need to be 6 months present in New Zealand every year (Two year period) for permanent residence.

Assuming that your are outside of NZ when AIP is given, I too am no sure that anything has changed from 6 months after date of approval in principle to present your passport and pay migrant levy , then 12 months from date of issue of visa label to arrive in New Zealand, then a 2 years multiple entry resident visa?

If you are already in NZ then the resident visa is simply issued with a two year validity from date of issue. You have 6 month in which to provide passport and pay migrant levy.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 12th September 2015 at 12:38 PM.

And Chris is an LIA.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Assuming that your are outside of NZ when AIP is given, I too am no sure that anything has changed from 6 months after date of approval in principle to present your passport and pay migrant levy , then 12 months from date of issue of visa label to arrive in New Zealand, then a 2 years multiple entry resident visa?

If you are already in NZ then the resident visa is simply issued with a two year validity from date of issue. You have 6 month in which to provide passport and pay migrant levy.

R5.66 Travel conditions on resident visas
    Unless a resident visa is granted at an immigration control area, all resident visas may be granted with travel conditions allowing:
    first arrival by a certain date, if the applicant is offshore (unless the resident visa is a second or subsequent resident visa granted under RV4); and
    multiple entries current either for a set period from date of the initial grant of entry permission based on the resident visa, or until a certain date.
    The currency of these travel conditions are determined by the residence category under which the resident visa has been granted.
    R5.66.1 Travel conditions allowing first entry for applicants overseas when the resident visa is granted
    If an applicant is offshore at the time their application for a resident visa is granted, the following travel conditions must be granted to allow their first entry to New Zealand as a resident:
    first entry within one year after the grant of the visa, unless the resident visa was granted under the Samoan Quota Scheme (see S1.10.55), or the Pacific Access Category (see S1.40.55); or
    first entry within three months after the grant of the visa, if the resident visa was granted under the Samoan Quota Scheme (see S1.10.55), or the Pacific Access Category (see S1.40.55).
    No variation to travel conditions pertaining to first entry may be granted.
    People with resident visas who fail to travel to New Zealand within the validity of their first travel condition must submit a further application for a residence class visa if they still wish to live in New Zealand.
    Note:
    ~ In the case of applicants who wish to re-apply for a residence class visa under categories which require selection from a ballot (e.g. Samoan Quota, Pacific Access Category) such applicants must re-register for a ballot and submit a new application for a residence class visa if they are successful in such a ballot.
    ~ Applicants who wish to re-apply for a residence class visa under categories which require an invitation to apply following selection from a pool (e.g. Skilled Migrant Category) must submit a new Expression of Interest and subsequently be invited to apply for residence.

Any new residence class visa application must be lodged in the prescribed manner and will be assessed against residence instructions applying at the time the new application is made.
    Visas will be granted only if the applicant's travel document is current for the proposed currency of the initial travel conditions.
    R5.66.5 Travel conditions allowing multiple entries from the first day in New Zealand as a resident
    A resident visa may be granted with travel conditions allowing multiple entries for two years from the applicant’s first day in New Zealand as a resident, unless the visa is granted under the Parent Category (F4). Visas granted under the Parent Category may be granted multiple entry travel conditions for five years from the applicant’s first day in New Zealand as a resident (see F4.50).
    A person’s first day in New Zealand as a resident is either:
    the day their resident visa is granted in New Zealand; or
    the day they are first granted entry permission on the basis of their resident visa, if they were outside of New Zealand when their resident visa was granted.
    If a resident visa holder fails to travel to New Zealand within the validity of their first entry travel condition, their multiple entry travel conditions never become valid.
    If the holder of a resident visa wishes to travel to New Zealand outside of the validity of their multiple entry travel conditions and they do not qualify for a permanent resident visa (see RV2), they may apply for a variation of their travel conditions (RV3).
    R5.66.10 Former New Zealand citizens deemed to hold a resident visa

Zof - thanks for posting your original link. Exactly what I was asking about but was unable to find your thread. Do you have any update from your CO? I remember you (and MVLB) were going to write to your CO/s?

Hi ChrisMwn,

What you said was my understanding until Zof's poster. Zof has been given a 2-year travel condition, (of which) the first entry to INZ is 1 year. It's the same with another candidate MVLB also on page 2 of Zof's link

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47729

From what you say, yes, nothing has changed, but, why are Zof's and MVLB's cases so?

Regards,
    laxgr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast