Thread: JSV Contract renewable

Default JSV Contract renewable

Hi all,

Just want to know if there are any of you guys have experienced having a JSV and had converted to RV by having a contract which is renewable. I am curious if a 3 month contract which is subject for renewal will be enough to convert JSV to RV.

TIA

Hi....did you call NZ immigration office regarding your query?

I'm sorry, I missed seeing this post at the time.

As I read around, I think It is somewhere in the ops manual that it must be minimum of 12 months.

Yes. The requirements for a job to be counted as skilled employment are here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30549.htm at SM7.15 b. The important thing is 'ongoing and sustainable'. Reading this regulation, you would think that an offer of a 12-month contract fulfils the requirement, but several people from the forum have had this, then found that INZ wouldn't accept that alone, instead pushing for either a letter from the employer saying there would be a further contract to follow on, or else evidence from other employers in the same line of work saying there is plenty of work around and they would be very likely to have places when the applicant's first contract was up.

After seeing this thread http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38729, I did not want to take any chance with contract position and focus on getting a permanent one. Even though it is harder to get one but I think it's worth it. It took me 2 months to get one though. For me it's more important to secure RV than a big salary. Once you get RV, then you have the options.