Thread: EOI :: Name of qualification and Date obtained. "Date obtained Vs Date completed studies"?

Default EOI :: Name of qualification and Date obtained. "Date obtained Vs Date completed studies"?

Dear everyone

I am filling up EOI form, section "Section F: Principal Applicant's Recognised Qualification(s)":

Can anyone tell me what date should I put in for Date obtained and Date completed studies ?

I completed studies and final exams in May 2007.

I got original degree certificate later in the year 2007.

I have a transfer certificate as well . which says "Student left the program = June 2007".
    Final Examination held = May 2007 etc.

Can you clarify "Date obtained Vs Date completed studies". These are two fields in this section.

I also need to claim 8 years for Work experience post qualification. I am confused about the term "post qualification". What does this mean?
    Is it the date of course completion or final exam date or when I received my degree certificate?

Waiting for your responses.

Thank you
    Last edited by farfaraway; 11th September 2015 at 05:09 PM.

Not sure if anyone has a suggestion on this topic...

I am planning to submit EOI tomorrow.

As nobody else has come forward with experience of what they did, I'll tell you what I think, just from the wording.

In your place, I would say your Date Completed Studies is May, 2007, and your Date Obtained is when you got the degree certificate.

'Post qualification work experience' is employment since you got your qualification. INZ thinking is generally that people study for a qualification that makes them skilled, so any work before the qualification is not skilled. HOWEVER, there have been people, particularly in the field of IT, who successfully argued that they were doing skilled work before obtaining their degree(s), having had training within the industry. SM11.10.5 b applies. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm

Thank you Jandm.

That is exactly my situation
    I started working based on my diploma in IT.
    I obtained by degree while working.

My only worry is whether INZ consider "Date obtained" or "Date completed studies" to calculate the "post qualification work experience".

I have to claim 8 years of work experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    As nobody else has come forward with experience of what they did, I'll tell you what I think, just from the wording.

In your place, I would say your Date Completed Studies is May, 2007, and your Date Obtained is when you got the degree certificate.

'Post qualification work experience' is employment since you got your qualification. INZ thinking is generally that people study for a qualification that makes them skilled, so any work before the qualification is not skilled. HOWEVER, there have been people, particularly in the field of IT, who successfully argued that they were doing skilled work before obtaining their degree(s), having had training within the industry. SM11.10.5 b applies. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm

I will go by your suggestions, hoping that INZ will consider my 8 years work experience post qualification from May 2007 onwards ( as theoretically I am working as soon as I completed my degree - final exam)

That seems reasonable to me - and can well be argued, since you already had industry-based knowledge, AND nobody adds extra knowledge after ending their studies just by receiving a nice certificate!

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joshi_6in View Post
    I will go by your suggestions, hoping that INZ will consider my 8 years work experience post qualification from May 2007 onwards ( as theoretically I am working as soon as I completed my degree - final exam)
    Yes you can, normally final year/semester results usually take one to three months and issue of degree certificate may be from six months to one year after exams. So one can start his/her job from after giving the exams, but make sure you must have a job offer letter and work profile/designation from date which you have started the job.

Thank you JandM, nitsam for the great response.

It surely will many aspirants who are looking to migrate