Thread: SMC: What should I do to prove that we have ability to settle in NZ successfully? (Without Job offer)

Question SMC: What should I do to prove that we have ability to settle in NZ successfully? (Without Job offer)

We will submit our document following ITA this month (SMC). What should I do when waiting for CO to be assigned to my case (which will be arround 6-9 months)?

From NZ web page: Depending on how you are able to demonstrate your ability to settle in New Zealand successfully, you may be granted a resident visa, or you may be granted a work visa which enables you to move from work to residence.

- Could any one tell us how to show that we have ability to settle in NZ successfully?
    - Should I buy a house for investment during the waiting time? As this is our intention even if we donot gave Residence visa, we still wish to buy a house in NZ to rent it out. Is this will be a sign saying that I will be able to settle in NZ successfully?

This part of the requirements is tested by the interview with the CO that happens near the end of processing your application.

Your application will be checked out thoroughly by the CO - that is, all your evidence will be verified by asking other people to confirm it. When that is all done (which can take months), then the CO will call you to arrange an interview with you. It is how the CO is impressed by your answers in the interview that make him/her decide what visa you ought to be offered. The interview is designed to find out what you know about how things work in NZ, both in your career and in society in general, to see if you would be likely to impress an employer and be quickly offered a job, and also that you are prepared to manage your life efficiently, like sorting out housing, medical care, school for children if any, etc., without being distracted by those things from your work - this is all known as 'employability'.

If the the CO is fully satisfied, then Residence is offered. If the CO has doubts about aspects of your preparedness, you can be offered an SMC JSV (also known as deferred Residence), which gives you the right to nine months in NZ to find skilled work, and if you do, you get the Residence you originally applied for. If you appear to the CO to lack most of the necessary information, you will be refused. Here is the official information about the CO interview. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm And here is an old thread with questions from the interviews. (The regulations have been the same for a long time, so don't be concerned that the early posts date back several years.) http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27398

Thank you very much JandM! This does help me alot...

Do you think buying a house before the interview could be a strong evidence that we will successfully settle in NZ?

If you're keen to do it ANYWAY, I suppose it would be one small positive, but that's all.

No disrespect to you, or thinking that this is what you would be like, but... imagine a CO interviewing an applicant who was badly prepared, who hadn't researched or approached any NZ employers, who didn't know what kind of salary they might earn, and what it would buy in the way of their weekly household shopping, and who when asked which island Wellington was on, didn't even know there are the two main islands, or any information about the city itself, and those are all real examples of things people have told us they said in interview! For such a person to say, 'And I've bought a house,' would not be enough to balance out their obvious unsuitability.

thank you JandM. I will prepare carefully for the interview
    Just think of buying a house in NZ as a way of safe investment

Good luck.

I will let you know when my interview comes