Thread: 2 years rule to Australia after Government Scholarship, will it affect my residence application to NZ?

Default 2 years rule to Australia after Government Scholarship, will it affect my residence application to NZ?

My husband is the main applicant for Residence visa under SMC to NZ. I am the secondary applicant. However, I am currently doing PhD in Australia under Australia Aids Scholarship with the 2 year rule apply. This means I cannot enter Australia withing the 2 years after finishing my study.

I have called NZ migration officer (in the helpline) to consult on this matter when we got the ITA. They said the 2 years rule to Australia does not affect the residence application to NZ, as long as I will not enter Australia during that 2 years.

But I am still much concern whether my CO will think different than the migrant officer on the helpline? Is there any chance the 2 year rule to Australia will affect my application.... Thank you so much...

No, that won't be any problem. Australia and NZ are two totally separate countries. Being quite close geographically, they have certain agreements to facilitate movement between the two by their citizens, but that's ALL - they don't share legislation. The restriction upon your entering Australia for two years under the terms of your study does not limit your moving to NZ.