Thread: Napier vs Nelson

Default Napier vs Nelson

Hi all, we are currently living in Auckland with a three year old and another on the way. My partner will be an osteopath at the end of the year and auckland is too busy for us and has too many osteopaths already so off we move. Napier and Nelson are our top picks. Just visited napier this weekend and loved the art deco, family friendly vibe but hard to tell from just two days if its the place for us. Nelson has a place in my partners heart bc of great childhood holidays there, it too has a great vibe too plus has the sandy beaches where as Napier has stone. So hard to choose where to throw down roots. Conservative people vs alternative lifestyle people may be a big difference between the two towns. They seem pretty similair in size and house prices, for the most part. Any insights or comparisions from anyone? Thanks, J

Hi Snuffy,

We have been to Nelson many times as we have friends over at Stoke/Richmond way and we both say we found in Nelson everyone was very friendly. We have a nearly 21 month old and another one due in a months time. When we went on walks or to the parks in Nelson we found other parents very friendly, chatty and very welcoming! When in Napier I did not find this as much, don't get me wrong people where friendly enough just in my opinion not as much as Nelson.
    Also I have to say there are lots to do in Nelson that is on your doorstep if you are into the outdoor lifestyle which we are even with the little one, you have Abel Tasman and other wonderful places which I think is always a plus.
    We always feel after we leave Nelson that we could easily live there just because of meeting more like minded people that are into similar activities as us… Running/walking/cycling/triathlons. We live in Te Aroha and its a very small town and to meet similar like minded people we would have to travel to Hamilton (45 mins) and thats not always practical with little ones but Te Aroha is very central to a lot of other places that we love and regular like to visit like Rotorua/Tauranga/Coromandel/Auckland etc… But just from trips away we have to say Nelson ticks more boxes than Napier for us!!

Hope that helps and good luck, hope you get the answers/help you are after

has the sandy beaches where as Napier has stone.
    Obviously you haven't had a good look around. Napier does have sandy beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Obviously you haven't had a good look around. Napier does have sandy beaches.
    You have to drive 30 minutes for sandy beaches I thought? Or possibly a little sandy patch by port?