Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth moving from Germany to NZ?

Question Worth moving from Germany to NZ?

Hi everyone!

I'm very new here but already read a number of excellent threads with loads of information. However, I would love to get your feedback about my situation and whether you think its a good idea to move to NZ.

I am a non German living in Berlin since 5 years with my family (wife + 2 kids) and we are quite happy and settled (we both have jobs and even though we work in English speaking companies as Software Engineers, we know enough German to get along decently).

My brother moved to NZ last year and he seems to be having a good time there. We are thinking of moving to NZ too mainly due to the fact that we would like our kids to grow up / study in an English speaking environment. The secondary benefit is that we have family in NZ (brother) and possibly we would invite our parents in NZ (our parents would not want to live with us in Germany due to language issues).

However, we are not totally sure if NZ is right for us. Can anyone on this forum who has also lived in Germany share his or her experiences of how they find NZ when compared with Germany?

Thanks a lot!

I was in the Army and was based in Bielefeld. I could not really speak the language besides ordering food/drinks but I found when I tried to speak in German they replied in English which was sometimes frustrating when I wanted to learn but they wanted to practice their English so it was tough at times. I loved living in Germany, so clean, people friendly enough and my only regret was that I did not travel as much as I could of whilst there. I was only in my late teens then and I am now in my young 30's - I absolutely love livign in NZ and prefer here to Germany more so because of the outdoor lifestyle it offers, less population, more family friendly, the Kiwi's have a great life/work balance and for the kids what better place to bring them up when there is so much outside to do. The weather make s a HUGE difference for us to… You can still actually go out and do things in Winter like cycling and walks where in Winter in Germany and UK you can't do as much as its icy. I think NZ all the way!!

I hope that helps, not sure what more I can add really but by all means ask me any questions and I will try and answer them. One thing I really do miss so much and thats the Christmas markets… I love the Christmas markets over in Germany oh and the food!!

Great reviews about NZ.
    Thanks for sharing your experience

Quote Originally Posted by Living Life View Post
    I was in the Army and was based in Bielefeld. I could not really speak the language besides ordering food/drinks but I found when I tried to speak in German they replied in English which was sometimes frustrating when I wanted to learn but they wanted to practice their English so it was tough at times. I loved living in Germany, so clean, people friendly enough and my only regret was that I did not travel as much as I could of whilst there. I was only in my late teens then and I am now in my young 30's - I absolutely love livign in NZ and prefer here to Germany more so because of the outdoor lifestyle it offers, less population, more family friendly, the Kiwi's have a great life/work balance and for the kids what better place to bring them up when there is so much outside to do. The weather make s a HUGE difference for us to… You can still actually go out and do things in Winter like cycling and walks where in Winter in Germany and UK you can't do as much as its icy. I think NZ all the way!!

I hope that helps, not sure what more I can add really but by all means ask me any questions and I will try and answer them. One thing I really do miss so much and thats the Christmas markets… I love the Christmas markets over in Germany oh and the food!!

Thanks a lot 'Living Life' for your feedback It definitely gives me a clearer picture when it comes to comparing the pros and cons of the two countries.

May I ask, how do you find the bureaucracy in NZ? In Germany the public offices (Finanzamt, Burgeramt, Auslanderbehorde) are not known for their efficiency and user friendliness, how did you find it in NZ as compared to Germany?

You're right about the Christmas markets, they are fun!

I am from Berlin . Moved over with my kiwi girlfriend and believe me I have been everywhere in the world and New Zealand is the best place (for me ) anywhere especially the lifestyle and education. The universities are amazing and nothing compared to thr run down unis in germany. Public schools are also really great I mean just look at the rankings its always up there on the top .
    But most important is the lifestyle it gives to your kids , I wish I was raised here its just so free and clean you can surf, ski , swin all on the same day and the weather (summer ) is much better.
    Having said that you need to understand and I have seen it with a lot of people that you need to loose that german attitude about everything and every german has it in them because compared to NZ a lot of things are less efficient (which I love because it means less stiffness and more flexibleness and everything is more relaxed ) But the good thing is that there is far less bürokratie believe me probably half of it thats what it feels like at least.
    The best part about Nz is the people for me. I had a big problem with germans and there outlook and priorities in life and when I first arrived here I instantly fell in love with the kiwis.
    If you have no problem with leaving your relatives, friends and feeling isolated at g
    times, expensive airfares (besides to fiji ,aussie,samoa) then you should try it out. Maybe first on a trip and see if it is for you and your family . (Thats what I did)

For me I will probably never go back I love it here and everything about the people and the land. If you have some questions you can write me on here.

PS : half of the income tax that you pay in germany if not less ( germany has one of the highest rates in the world ) I could just not accept the fact that I had to give away more then 50 % of my monthly income .
    Last edited by fabs; 18th September 2015 at 07:31 PM.

I have to say reading fabs's reply to you has probably hit the nail on the head. We came on holiday to before making the move over, I just knew in my bones that I was going to love NZ - how could I not? Everything is just so positive, the leaving friends/family is hard but with emails/facebook/skpye/phone calls - that really does help close the gap. Flights are very expensive back to the UK/Europe only downside but apart from that its definitely worth it!!

Good luck with making your decision and like fabs said any questions please ask

Quote Originally Posted by joshi_6in View Post
    Great reviews about NZ.
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    Your very welcome joshi_6in I could talk all day about what I love about liven cover here in this marvellous country!!

Thank you fabs for your detailed feedback! I think I know where you are coming from, indeed things like tax laws and business laws are quite complicated in Germany - even Germans have a hard time understanding them. The worst for me is dealing with the mostly incompetent public office clerks. I hope NZ has better public services.

If you complain about public services in Germany, I'd advise against a move to NZ. New Zealand has almost no public services. There is virtually no public transport and the easiest way to get about is by car or air. On the plus side, the tax system is one of the simplest in the world. You pay tax on everything and do so from the first dollar earned. There is no tax free allowance or Kinderfreibetrag. The top rate of tax is, however, only 33% -- for now. A few years back it was 38%. The tax system in NZ discourages savings in any asset class bar real estate. There is a basic tax funded state pension which covers basic needs, provided you own your own home. Workplace pensions are meagre. You might get a contribution of 3% from your employer to kiwi saver, but the rest is up to you. What makes matters worse is that you pay tax on the employer's contribution and have to make contributions out of post tax income. The return on your pension portfolio is also taxed at the marginal rate. The NZ tax code is certainly simple, but simplicity does come at a price.

The one thing that most Eurpean migrants miss while living in NZ is the ability to travel at low cost. A trip back to Europe with two kids will set you back at least $10,000 in airfares alone.

Apart from these minor grumblings, and provided you bring enough capital with you, it is a very beautiful country in which to live.

Quote Originally Posted by chapwithatui View Post
    There is virtually no public transport and the easiest way to get about is by car or air.
    Thanks a lot @chapwithatui

I must clear that by 'public services' I mean the services in public offices like Auslanderbehorde et al and the bureaucracy in general in Germany. The public transport is definitely the best I have seen in Berlin for a big city.

Your other valuable insights are definitely food for thought and I will discuss it with my wife. Thanks a lot again for your valuable feedback :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast