Thread: Made a mistake in EOI and just noticed it after getting my ITA ;-(

Default Made a mistake in EOI and just noticed it after getting my ITA ;-(

Hi everyone,

I submitted my EOI a few days back with 150 points. I got my ITA today and as I was going through the points I claimed, I noticed I had claimed 10 bonus points for 'SM16.10 Qualifications in an identified future growth area' which is actually a mistake since these bonus points are only applicable if I have a job offer in NZ already.

So my question is:

1) When I submit the ITA, can my application be rejected on the grounds that I claimed points which I had no right to claim (since I didn't have a job offer) and hence fall under 'submitting false information' in any way?

2) The pool in which I was selected was closed on 140 points. So, if I go ahead with my ITA and submit the application and it turns out my points are actually 140 (and not 150 as claimed due to a mistake I spoke about above), will I still be selected given the fact that I still have 140 points?

I would be really thankful if you guys could help me!

Thanks

You are probably entitled to the same number of points for Absolute Skill Shortage instead. See SM13. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm And you are allowed to alter the ITA before you send it back, just saying you made a mistake.

Thanks JandM

Great point regarding 'SM16.20 Qualifications in an area of absolute skills shortage' - as I understand, having either SM16.10 or SM16.20 or both would get you 10 points in total as per OpsManual:

"SM16.5 Bonus points for recognised qualification
    Recognised qualifications in an identified future growth area or an area of absolute skills shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (see Appendix 4) qualify for 10 points."

(source: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30593.htm)

I'd give them a call on Monday perhaps when they open. Hopefully my points will stay at 150 since I still do qualify for Absolute Skill Shortage. Fingers crossed.

Btw, in the event that my points somehow fall below the required threshold, would I simply be shown the door or would the case officer still get in touch with me to work out if we can somehow reach the required points (e.g. by adding work experience earned during the time ITA was processed or NZQA of partner's qualification)?

Thanks!

Yes, that's definitely right. And you are probably due some bonus points on your work experience, too, as long as you are on the LTSSL - have you claimed those?

I don't quite see why you're thinking of calling them. You'll be putting things right when you send the ITA back. I thought it is YOU who have noticed the error, not them, isn't that right? If so, nobody will be thinking about your case for the time being - it will only come alive again when your ITA goes in.
    Btw, in the event that my points somehow fall below the required threshold, would I simply be shown the door or would the case officer still get in touch with me to work out if we can somehow reach the required points (e.g. by adding work experience earned during the time ITA was processed or NZQA of partner's qualification)?
    On THIS issue, it doesn't sound as though your points are likely to fall at all - you'll just be substituting the same number under the alternative category.

In the event that an official finds that some points claimed are inadmissable, what happens depends on how far the total falls. If the disallowance takes the total below 100, the case is rejected at once, because no EOI is ever selected below 100. If the true total is above 100 but below 140, and the person does not have a job offer, then the EOI will be put back into the pool, where it remains available for selection for six months. In that time, if the applicant notifies INZ he has a job offer, the EOI will be selected at the next draw. Or if INZ should suddenly change the quotas, so EOIs get selected with fewer points, he might get a chance (not that there is any rumour of that at the moment, though).

An INZ official isn't supposed to go through the kind of 'helpful' action you suggest - it's always down to the applicant to put forward their case, then the CO applies his check-list to it. Sometimes there is a nice human being in that office, who does kindly wait while an applicant tries to save his application in whatever way, but it's not mandatory.

Thanks JandM,

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I thought it is YOU who have noticed the error, not them, isn't that right?
    That's right, it was me who noticed it. I suppose the person sending me the ITA should have taken care of it and clarified that I can still carry on with claiming 150 points thanks to the alternative category you pointed out.

I guess I won't call them then and instead as you suggest put in my application since I also checked 'Yes' in my EOI against the alternate category ('SM16.20 Qualifications in an area of absolute skills shortage').

So far I've been rather conservative in claiming points so I am confident that I won't be dropping below 140 (and based on what we have discussed, quite possibly stay on with 150 points).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    And you are probably due some bonus points on your work experience, too, as long as you are on the LTSSL
    Yup, I've claimed points for Software Engineer

Thanks!

JandM has explained in very detail.

What I just want to share is that, I made the same mistake as you, and I just updated the ITA paper and made the submission. I also made sure there was no change or reduction of points.

Remarks: I am an Analyst Programmer, with work experience and qualification are on the LTSSL.

Quote Originally Posted by w&k View Post
    JandM has explained in very detail.

What I just want to share is that, I made the same mistake as you, and I just updated the ITA paper and made the submission. I also made sure there was no change or reduction of points.

Remarks: I am an Analyst Programmer, with work experience and qualification are on the LTSSL.
    Thanks a lot w&k that sounds great, so I can actually make any minor corrections in ITA as long as they don't affect my points. Cool

Sorry about hijacking this thread,

W&k, by looking at your signature I noted that you have had the interview in July and exactly a month later, they have requested additional documents. Would you share with us what kinds of additional documents they required? I'm also waiting for a reply after the interview.
    And which is the branch which your application is processed?

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    Sorry about hijacking this thread,

W&k, by looking at your signature I noted that you have had the interview in July and exactly a month later, they have requested additional documents. Would you share with us what kinds of additional documents they required? I'm also waiting for a reply after the interview.
    And which is the branch which your application is processed?
    I have changed my job and the CO ask for evidence for current employment. My case belongs to Shanghai branch.