Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charity shops

Default Charity shops

do you have them in New Zealand. Do they proliferate to the same degree as they do in the UK. If they aren't there what is the equivalent?

The same thing exists, called op shops. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=nz+op+shops+online

Hi kiwilud,

I am a keen and happy OP shopper, I have bought 90% of my toddlers clothes from there and my maternity wear from the op shops out here and I have to say they are marvellous I find compared to the UK - a lot cheaper and also good quality stuff in most of them with good branded well known names!! Around where we live I have found Hospice is the cheapest, especially for children's clothes, 4 items for $1 and most adults clothes $2.50 unless designer then you may a little more. Salvation Army do fill a carrier bag for $5 on old stock but other clothes in store prices can vary, I have found St Johns is the most expensive but its for a very worthy cause two you don't mind

Hope that helps!

I forgot to add if you are on Facebook there are usually Facebook pages called 'Pay It Forward" in your area, this is really good and I do use often, basically you gift any unwanted items that you don't want anymore and gift your item to someone whom would like it. If there is something you would like you request if you may be considered for that item, the person who if gifting will close who to gift it to, if you have nothing to gift you can offer a lift somewhere or offer any help for an hour etc… They are really good groups. Also you have 'Buy and Sell' in your local area on Facebook to, where people sell there unwanted items usually for good low prices. I have just bought my boy 3 x Tonka trucks for his sandpit for $3 each and they are marvellous so there is that option to!!

Yes, Op Shop culture alive and well here! They vary hugely from town to town; for example, in Cambridge there is an op shop (and no, I'm not telling!) that imports its stock from Oz and is apparently the highest per sq ft op shop earner for this charity in NZ. It's mostly designer stuff and is the perfect place to send teens to buy decent jeans for $15. At the other end, there are plenty of proper cheap op shops where you have to rummage through a lot of junk to find the gems.

I find it really sad that a lot of people I know sell their used stuff on TM rather than donating to charity (and we're not talking hard-up folk here). Shows a meanness of spirit, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    for example, in Cambridge there is an op shop (and no, I'm not telling!)

Now come on Kanga play nice and share your information ha ha… Tell me more about this op shop in Cambridge as we come through sometimes for lunch and a walk around the farmers market Have you been to the op shop in cambridge where money is not exchanged, not sure what its called but you basically take a bag in to donate and bring a bag of what you want out with you, if there is nothing you want then your name goes down that you brought one in for next time!!

It is sad that people sell their stuff instead of donating it to a good charity, everything we buy I generally donate back for someone to re-buy unless its not in good condition!!

Have you seen how people are selling the dominoes on Trade Me that countdown was giving away *shocking*

Quote Originally Posted by Living Life View Post
    Now come on Kanga play nice and share your information ha ha…

It is sad that people sell their stuff instead of donating it to a good charity, everything we buy I generally donate back for someone to re-buy unless its not in good condition!!

Have you seen how people are selling the dominoes on Trade Me that countdown was giving away *shocking*
    Oh alright. It's next door to the cafe with a number in its name and with black and white floor tiles PM me if you need more clue than that!

I know someone who sold some education/comprehension books I GAVE her on TM I had forgotten I had given them to her and when I couldn't find them I went to look on TM to buy similar - imagine my shock!
    Last edited by Kanga; 23rd September 2015 at 04:50 PM.

I know someone who sold some education/comprehension books I GAVE her on TM I had forgotten I had given them to her and when I couldn't find them I went to look on TM to buy similar - imagine my shock!
    That's a bit cheeky, isn't it?

I have found op shops in NZ to be a bit of a turn off, tbh. There's the odd decent one (got my wedding dress in one ), but on the whole, people in NZ seem to give away or try to sell clothing that I would personally only ever throw in the bin. There's a stretch on K'road in Auckland where I had to cross the road to get away from the stench of about three op shops full of smelly clothing next to each other.,,

I have similar experiences with TM: most of it is rubbish, with the odd exception.

Oh alright. It's next door to the cafe with a number in its name and with black and white floor tiles PM me if you need more clue than that!

Ha ha I think I will be sending you a PM Kanga as I have no idea where you mean ha ha… I am not familiar with Cambridge at all besides the high street, I know where the Salvation Army is and the Hospice op shops and most eateries but apart from that I have no idea!!

That is shocking about what your education/comprehension books… Some people have no conscience do they?! Did you ever mention it to him/her? I am not confrontational but I think I would of had to ask in conversation if they still had your books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast