Thread: Closest Snow location to Auckland

Default Closest Snow location to Auckland

Dear members

I am enjoying life in NZ after one year
    I wonder whether you know the closest location to Auckland in which I can appreciate the snow. We don't have many days (from Friday to Sunday only) so we prefer not spending many hours driving. I now that drive from Auckland to Ohakune takes around 5 hours
    I read that Ohakune has plenty of snow until 21st October
    Do you know another place that is closer to Auckland
    I am not sure whether Turangi has snow or whether I need to go closer to Ohakune

We are not interest in skiing as my wife got injured and cannot do it. Our idea is just to appreciate the snow and do any alternative plan (or no plan) to skiing. Only a short break with snow if what we want

Thanks for your help

DrO
    Last edited by DrO; 22nd September 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Incomplete post

Whakapapa would be the nearest proper snow destination, slightly closer than Ohakune. If you just want general snow, the desert road and national park get roadside snow in heavy falls, Though access may e difficult. But if your prepared to drive to Turangi, Whakapapa isnt too much further.

Dear Tanmar
    I will head to Whakaapa very helpful advice. I read that a lake in Tongariro is beautiful. Will try to see that one

Of course if you simply want to feel and touch real snow, there's always the indoor ski slope at Snowplanet, just north of Auckland! :-) www.snowplanet.co.nz

And you can fly to Queenstown faster than you can drive to Whakapapa!