Thread: Resignation period problems

Default Resignation period problems

Hi Guys,

I have recently resigned from my role as I have taken a new role with a different company. I resigned on a Wednesday which in theory takes my last day to Tuesday in the week I was intending to start my new role. I did not resign on the Monday as I was off sick, or the Tuesday as my manager and branch manager were both out of the office all day, I did write my resignation letter on the Tuesday and have it dated the Tuesday. My problem now is my manager and branch manager are saying I have to work out until the Tuesday as the day I handed my resignation in means the period lasts until the Tuesday. I asked if I could take annual leave for these 2 days as I have over 100 hours of annual leave, they said you can apply but we won't allow it.

What are my options here?
    Is there any issue with just not turning up for the 2 days?

In all honesty I'm sure the new company will be fine with me starting 2 days later but its just principal that annoys me here.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I think you'll just have to arrange starting 2 days later at your new role. The consequences of not turning up for the last 2 days will depend on your specific contract but frequently there is a clause for not providing full notice. As they have to pay you for any unused annual leave it's really in their best interest to let you take the time off so I'm surprised they won't allow it.