Thread: Extending WHV - Max Stay 12 months, Medical required?

Default Extending WHV - Max Stay 12 months, Medical required?

Hi all,

I entered in November 2014 and exited end of May 2015 (6 months) on a WHV. My WHV expires at the end of November 2015. I am wishing to return to NZ and extend my WHV for a further 6 months. As I will only be in NZ for a total of 12 months, do I need to do a medical examination? I may apply for 11 month extension on top of my original WHV but will only stay for 6 months in that.

The website is confusing. One page states;

Standard requirements for temporary entry class visa
    applications
    Unless requested by an immigration officer, medical and
    chest X-ray certificates do not need to be provided if
    you:
    • intend to be in New Zealand for less than six months,
    or
    • are applying for a Working Holidaymaker Extension visa,
    or
    • have been recognised as a refugee or protected
    person in New Zealand and are eligible to apply for a
    permanent resident visa, or
    • are applying for a military visa, diplomatic, consular or
    official visa
    and another says

How do I know if I need to submit a General Medical Certificate and a Chest X-ray Certificate?
    Before completing the questions on the health page of the online application form, you must read our guide Health Requirements (INZ 1121) PDF. This guide will tell you if you are required to submit further documentation to have your application considered.

For online applications, the requirement to complete a General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) PDF and a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) PDF are calculated on the basis of the maximum length of stay that you are allowed under your country's working holiday scheme (not your intended stay), along with your responses to our health requirement questions. Please see Table 2 (below) to check if you need to complete the two certificates.

If a General Medical Certificate and a Chest X-ray Certificate are required, you will receive an e-mail requesting you complete the certificates when you submit your application.
    The table says I must provide them if I applied for a 23 month visa in the first place

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Sam
    Last edited by samtheman13; 24th September 2015 at 11:57 PM.

The table says I must provide them if I applied for a 23 month visa in the first place
    But you didn't? - is that correct?

Always confusing and never consistently dealt with by INZ. IF you have been out of NZ for a while, then how long does that have to be before you don't fall into a medical certificate after 12 months etc!

To avoid confusion and to save time with the application its probabaly better to provide medical certificate up front. No one can criticise you for doing that, and if you do end staying longer you wont need one in the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    But you didn't? - is that correct?
    Thats correct, sorry for the confusion. It will be a 23 month visa in total if I apply for the blanace of 11 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Always confusing and never consistently dealt with by INZ. IF you have been out of NZ for a while, then how long does that have to be before you don't fall into a medical certificate after 12 months etc!

To avoid confusion and to save time with the application its probabaly better to provide medical certificate up front. No one can criticise you for doing that, and if you do end staying longer you wont need one in the next 3 years.
    yes very confusing. I guess its best to apply for the medicals in case, thanks