Thread: WHV to Work Essential Visa - is Police certificate required?

Default WHV to Work Essential Visa - is Police certificate required?

Hello, I will really appreciate all help that I can get from here.

I am currently holding a WHV (will expire on July 2016), I found a job and my employer has provided me the supplementary form (for a 1 year contract) and ready to be lodged.

I just had issues with my Police Certificate as it might take 2 weeks to be processed. I've read that Police certificate is only required if the contract is for 2 years but some people here in Queenstown said that Police certificate is required and might caused delay in my work visa application if I did not include it in my documents.

Is that true? I am so confuse now.
    I really want to be sure before I lodge all my documents.

Please help me.

I'm assuming you're talking about getting an Essential Skills Work Visa. If that is right, here are the requirements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ply/essential/ This includes the instruction following.
    If you are applying for a work visa for two years or more, you must provide a police certificate, less than six months old, from your country of citizenship and from any country in which you have lived for five or more years since reaching 17 years of age.

I think the two years includes time you have already spent in the country, is that right JandM?

I'm not sure - it's hard to tell from the instructions given in different places by INZ.

Is there somebody who has moved from WHV to work visa, who can say what they had to do?

Our CO told us we needed a police certificate for his visa because of the time he had already spent in NZ - his total stay would be over 2 years - but that may have no bearing here. I imagine it's highly likely that there are different rules for different visa types

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick Kiwi View Post
    Our CO told us we needed a police certificate for his visa because of the time he had already spent in NZ - his total stay would be over 2 years - but that may have no bearing here. I imagine it's highly likely that there are different rules for different visa types
    If the visa you are applying for means that you will be in New Zealand for more than 2 years you need to provide a PC with that application

'If the visa you are applying for means that you will be in New Zealand for more than 2 years you need to provide a PC with that application'

Thanks - I am aware - I was posting our experience for the original poster

Thank you so much for all the responses. I was here this July 2015 and if I will be given a 1 year contract it is still not more than 24 months. I will be lodging my documents with no PC, fingers crossed!

thank you. I might not need it now but if I renew my visa that I will be the time that I will need it by 2016. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about getting an Essential Skills Work Visa. If that is right, here are the requirements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ply/essential/ This includes the instruction following.
    Thanks! the link also helped me check all my requirements. I will refer to this if my CO ask for my PC. This is so perfect. Cheers!