Thread: Going Walkabout before Settling Down

Question Going Walkabout before Settling Down

I'm retired, in good health, and, apart from the dogs, solo (also comfortable being alone). Could manage $NZ500k, and in time, quite a bit more, for a property. I'm an Australian citizen so visas, etc. are no problem. This results in the blessed problem of too many possibilities. I'm pretty sure I want North Island and east coast . .. more sun, less rain, climates where you can grow avocados and citrus and all those wonderful things. I'd like an acre or two . . . more is ok. Riparian . . . or good beach access . . . would be wonderful. But so would an established small orchard. I'm not an indoor person and some sort of little shack will do, but shedding needed to protect tools. Don't want to be too far from town . . . but a 10 minute drive would be fine.

I look at trademe.com and other real estate listings and I keep falling in love with properties, but they are all over the map. Question: How to narrow it down?

My initial plan is to fly into Auckland . . . while the dogs are in quarantine find some sort of travel-van. Or, perhaps, a ute and a small caravan. Do a tour around North Island and stop when I find something I can afford and can't resist. I'll probably dispose of most of my possessions and travel light. I now live in the US (Florida) and making a preliminary visit would be difficult.

Is that workable? Anyone have a better solution?

Default Bay of Plenty

Hi there
    If you are keen on a Florida feel (citrus and avocado) then you should concentrate on the top half of the North Island. Have you looked at the Bay of Plenty? I'm familiar with KatiKati a small town in BoP. It's a horticultural area (kiwi fruit, etc.), close to the sea, nearby beaches (Waihi Beach, Tauranga, etc), 1/2 an hour from Tauranga, and three or so hours from Auckland. Easy access to the Coromandel also.

Quote Originally Posted by Katipo View Post
    Hi there
    If you are keen on a Florida feel (citrus and avocado) then you should concentrate on the top half of the North Island. Have you looked at the Bay of Plenty? I'm familiar with KatiKati a small town in BoP. It's a horticultural area (kiwi fruit, etc.), close to the sea, nearby beaches (Waihi Beach, Tauranga, etc), 1/2 an hour from Tauranga, and three or so hours from Auckland. Easy access to the Coromandel also.
    I'm trying to get away from the Florida feel. Mozzies up the yin yang and sticky hot weather are driving me bezerk. . . . but the charts say there aren't many places in NZ that are as bad as where I live now. (It gets to hot to grow tomatoes in the summer!!!! Central air con is considered the norm, and is kept on for four months solid). Something like mid-coast California, or even SoCal or the SW of Western Australia with a bit more rain would be better. Yes, Bay of Plenty is on the top of my list at the moment. Also considering Waikato and Cormandel. Te Puke and
    Opotiki, keep coming up in my searches. I'll have a look at KatiKati and surrounds.

Opotiki is a bit off the beaten track. Has a good climate though. Whakatane is fairly close with the beautiful Ohope Beach close by.

We live in Marlborough, sunniest part of NZ (most years!), which is in the top of the South Island. Can get a little cold in winter, glorious in Summer. No humidity and yes you can grow avos here as well.