Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones

Default Cell phones

Will any Triband GSM cell phone work there or are there just some certain models?

I was wondering as I was going to pick one up off ebay for a few hundred instead of getting one there for almost a thousand in NZ.

I believe as long as you a triple band cell phone you can pretty use it anywhere in the world...I think...please correct me if I'm mistaken

We learned that not any GSM phone will work in NZ, and the same may be true for tri-band. My GSM phone from the US did not work in NZ. We even tried putting in a SIM card from a NZ service provider, but no go. I would highly recommend that if you buy a phone here, make sure it is specifically marketed as "international" AND that it is guaranteed to work in NZ. The good news is that I did buy a decent phone in NZ and it did not cost a thousand dollars, although I still felt as if I had been ripped off having to pay $350-400 NZD for a phone. I am used to getting my phone for free or paying just $50 USD if I want a kick-ass phone. However, the even worse shocker was the price for service. :eek I practically needed a ventilator not to pass out.

thats not a shock to those of us from the UK>

Melissa, did you unlock your phone before you leave? my friend who is from Indonesia had a t-mobile carrier here in US, and when they went home, they called t-mobile to unlock their phones. Now, they can use it...I wonder if that's the case in NZ, especially when you have a triple band phones...they usually can switch signal automatically.

yep you have to have an 'unlocked' cell phone to work over here

If you want to unlock your sim card you can get free PUK codes from this site!

http://www.trycktill.com/default.asp

Happy Blah, Blah, Blahing and TXTing and PXTing!

what model phones are people using over there now. I seen some Mortrola(SP) here that are triband and GSM on ebay unlockec for around 100 bucks or so. But wanna make sure I get the right model just incease.

Quote Originally Posted by xanctus
    Melissa, did you unlock your phone before you leave?
    No, I did not unlock the phone prior to going to NZ...I was not aware that it was locked in any way. In the past, while here in the US, I have had to unlock my phone before (using a PUK code) because it came up as "SIM card blocked" for some reason, but I did not realize that this had anything to do with using the phone in other countries. I'll have to contact AT&T and see what they have to say about unlocking my phone for use in NZ. Thanks for the tip!

My hubby bought his phone in from UK and just bought a new sim card no problems!!

It isn't an up to date phone either so I was surprised.

However I just bought a new phone, NZ was the perfect excuse to update my cell phone, I have a nice new one now with a built in camera!!!!

Prices are about on par with UK I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast