Thread: where to settle in wellington?

Default where to settle in wellington?

hi folks,

we're in the process of applying for an SMC visa and right now, we are currently waiting for any additional requirements from our CO (if there's any) and the interview schedule.

however, I want to plan ahead on deciding where to settle. We're looking for a place where:

1. there's plenty of job opportunities
    2. low rent 250 - 300NZ$ pw (my partner and I don't have kids yet so for starters, a flat will do but would be great though if there are cheap houses available that we can afford to rent)
    3. easy access to CBD and any means of transportation
    4. safe
    5. near hospitals (schools in the area also would be great)
    6. lots of place for recreation
    7. friendly neighborhood
    any input would be great.
    Last edited by autumn; 2nd October 2015 at 04:47 PM.

Hi there and good luck with the process.

Wellington is a great place with plenty of opportunities, if you have the right skills!

That's not a lot for rent. Look on trademe to see where you can find places at that kind of rent.
    Perhaps a house share?
    Wellington has good public transport but you're probably better at looking at being near the city to avoid transport costs.
    Wellington (NZ in general) is a friendly place so hopefully you'd have nice neighbours!

Where to live in Wellington does come up from time to time on this forum so have a search in the archives, you'll find lots of great info !

1. the CBD is full of jobs, depends on what you do
    2. $250 - 300NZ isn't much unless you are prepared to share a house or large flat - look on trademe
    3. some areas of Wellington don't have public transport at weekends, so check this when viewing rentals
    4. almost all areas of Wellington a safe places to live, like most cities anywhere in the world, there are the odd blip in every suburb
    5. do you really need to live near a hospital? this is a capital city, it has hospitals
    6. everywhere
    7. same answer as 4

I moved to Wellington in June from the UK. It's a lovely city. However, everything they warn you about regarding the windy weather, is true.
    People are very friendly, it's a multicultural, happy place to live.
    Since you are a couple without kids, I would suggest that you rent a room in a CBD hostel for a few weeks. Then explore, explore, explore.

My friend lives in Wellington in the house and are very happy

thank you for all the replies.

but how bad really is the wind in wellington?

Scroll down on this page http://www.wunderground.com/nz/wellington to the bottom left hand corner, where you can find the 'History' section. You can go back through the whole year day by day, and see what it actually was doing weatherwise. This may be better than trying to judge through this or that person comparing it with what THEY were used to before in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Scroll down on this page http://www.wunderground.com/nz/wellington to the bottom left hand corner, where you can find the 'History' section. You can go back through the whole year day by day, and see what it actually was doing weatherwise. This may be better than trying to judge through this or that person comparing it with what THEY were used to before in other places.

Thanks a lot JandM.

I would recommend the region around Porirua. Shopping is very good as you find all local retailer at one spot. The place is not posh, people are very friendly down to Earth. House prices and rents are relatively low. Recreational value very high. Nice parks, beach close by. This region has in my opinion the highest potential in the near future. I you need a large hospital and urban living is your thing you may consider Wellington/Newtown which has a nice multicultural/laid-back atmosphere.
    Cannot comment on schools. But I have the feeling kids are high priority in New Zealand. Which is good!