Thread: Starting a Career in Social and Community Services in NZ

Question Starting a Career in Social and Community Services in NZ

So I have been living in NZ for a year and have just come back from being on holiday at home in the States. I have decided to use my college degree (Bachelors of Sociology with Criminology Concentration) and begin a career in social and community services here in NZ. Does anyone know how to begin here? I would like to be registered in social work by the end of next year, but you are not required to be registered to work in this field here, although I am seeing that many jobs listing are requiring more often in their descriptions. What is the best suggestion someone has regarding a field of entry? I have experience working with offenders, customer service, and admin experience which is all very useful. But as far as the first step, I'm not sure what to do....volunteer work? but where? Any help here is so much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie09 View Post
    So I have been living in NZ for a year and have just come back from being on holiday at home in the States. I have decided to use my college degree (Bachelors of Sociology with Criminology Concentration) and begin a career in social and community services here in NZ. Does anyone know how to begin here? I would like to be registered in social work by the end of next year, but you are not required to be registered to work in this field here, although I am seeing that many jobs listing are requiring more often in their descriptions. What is the best suggestion someone has regarding a field of entry? I have experience working with offenders, customer service, and admin experience which is all very useful. But as far as the first step, I'm not sure what to do....volunteer work? but where? Any help here is so much appreciated.

Hello Mickie09,

I actually don't have answers to your questions because I'm not residing or working in NZ but was just wondering why do you have to wait until end of next year to register in social work/as a social worker? Could it be because you don't have a background in social work? Were you able to find some information already?

Anyway, I'm also very much interested in the social and community services career in NZ because I also got a Bachelors of Sociology with minor in Anthropology from a Nigerian University; Masters of Development Studies/Development & International Cooperation with a major in Sociology from a Finnish University and now about completing my second Masters in Public Health also from a Finnish University. I have had worked with a school - primary/elementary school and few NGOs.

Would be nice hearing your update here!

Thanks!
    Ejike