Thread: house amenities

Default house amenities

guys;

All posts about house amenities (electricity, water, gas, internet) are a bit old well 2005 old) can someone post the prices nowadays is it true that you can choose your own electricity company provider and the prices differs between one city and another?

thx

Yes to your choice, which may vary according to exactly where you are (which companies cover that area).

Go to Google and enter "NZ price comparison" then follow on with the different amenities - electricity, broadband, etc. - to see relevant hits.

I rent a house that's about 100 sqm. Energy - gas and electric - average about $90/mo., but I don't heat up the house much in the winter. I use an electric blanket at night which is pretty economical. I also live alone so that keeps costs down. Don't know what water is. Broadband is expensive by US standards and not all that fast. I'm paying $89/mo for 80 gigs of service. That includes a land line which I never use. Petrol right now is NZ$2.00/litre more or less.

There is a choice in power companies but I don't think the prices vary that much.

Electricity for our family of 3 in a small 90m2 house cost us ~$120/mo through winter. Running the wood burning fireplace pretty much every night cost about $75/mo. Gas for cooking and hot water averages about $50/mo. And waste water is $50/mo. We have rain water collection for our fresh water, so that costs basically nothing.

In summer we spend nothing on wood and the electricity drops to about $80.

Unlimited ADSL internet and phone line costs us ~$100/mo.

Our house is 93m and only has electricity. Our bill runs $175-190/month in winter; drops only a little bit in summer because we run a pool pump. Winter water bill is $55/month; it'll go up to about $75 in summer because of watering garden and the pool. Internet is $89/month including landline and unlimited data. We also have a fireplace, but most of the wood is from a tree we removed from our property last year. Maybe $30/month in May-August for the other bits (kindling, starter)?

We're in Auckland. And we just finished insulating our ceiling, so am hopeful our bills next winter will come down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sbranca View Post
    Broadband is expensive by US standards and not all that fast. I'm paying $89/mo for 80 gigs of service. That includes a land line which I never use.
    That's cheap!!!!! I live in a semi-rural area of the US. I'm paying that much for very very slow satellite connection and 10 gigs. It's so slow that a 2 minute utube clip often takes 10 minutes to watch.