Thread: Accountant - Is occupational registration required?

Default Accountant - Is occupational registration required?

Hi all,

I'm intending to nominate my job as being comparable to Accountant (General) 221111. But I read on this:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....11+Accountants
    221111 ACCOUNTANT (GENERAL)
    Plans and provides systems and services relating to the financial dealings of organisations and individuals, and advises on associated record-keeping and compliance requirements. Registration or licensing is required. Skill Level: 1

I just graduated in 2013, so it's not possible to get registered with the NZICA for membership.

However, the SM19.5 manual doesn't require Accountant to be registered: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/47514.htm

I would be appreciate if anyone can help me:-
    - For accountant, does the applicant need to be registered?
    - If I change it to 221113 (Tax accountant), would it solve the problem? Because for tax accountant, "registration or licensing may be required".
    - Is the salary of $21.67 per hour good enough for residency?

Thank you very much.

If you need the bonus points for LTSSL to get over the 100 minimum level to get your EOI selected (as you're already in a job, or have an offer), then you have to be registered. If you DON'T need the bonus points, just need to be recognized as being in a Skilled job, the requirements are different. See here http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ntant-general/ and click on the 'List of Skilled Occupations' green bar.

By the way, if you go looking for parts of the Operational Manual, if you come up with blue pages, those are part of an old version which has been replaced. As it happens, the changes haven't affected the part you're interested on that page, but it can sometimes make a big difference.

INZ don't set a definite rate, but instead check to see you are receiving a reasonable rate for a skilled worker in your career - you need to compare with others at your level of qualification and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you need the bonus points for LTSSL to get over the 100 minimum level to get your EOI selected (as you're already in a job, or have an offer), then you have to be registered. If you DON'T need the bonus points, just need to be recognized as being in a Skilled job, the requirements are different. See here http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ntant-general/ and click on the 'List of Skilled Occupations' green bar.

By the way, if you go looking for parts of the Operational Manual, if you come up with blue pages, those are part of an old version which has been replaced. As it happens, the changes haven't affected the part you're interested on that page, but it can sometimes make a big difference.

INZ don't set a definite rate, but instead check to see you are receiving a reasonable rate for a skilled worker in your career - you need to compare with others at your level of qualification and experience.
    Thank you very much for your reply I talked with a previous college in my previous company who got NZ residency 2 years ago, and he said "No. You don't need to be registered with NZICA. I myself study a Post grad dip and have a bachelor degree in Agri Economics, not Accountancy, but still got PR on accountant job".
    I also checked the new manual, it doesn't change much. Most importantly accountant is not on occupational registration list

Yes, it's good to hear the personal experience of somebody who's done this, isn't it? Like I said, the 'registration' thing is only a required item IF you need the bonus points for LTSSL, but most people who already have a skilled job have enough under various headings to make the 100 minimum without the bonus points.